CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    are the seabass shown yet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are the seabass shown yet
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted
hello anglers of the west , ive booked a private charter out of l.a. harbor , did not set the date yet . wait,n on the seabass to show in numbers, if any one heading out to catalina with in a month , id appreciate your current update.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Louie,

There has been a few scores of some decent fish - it's a bit early to predict - but the bait (squid) situation is looking very good - and as always - when the candy bait are at the island - so are the big croakers.

I'm going to give it a look this weekend with a few buddies - I'll post our results.

RV

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
HAY RIGHT ON R/V , ANY INFO YOU CAN PROVIDE WOULD BE GREAT. ILL BE AT THE SHOW THIS WEEKEND SO ILL FOLLOW UP ON YOUR RETURN NEXT WEEK .

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
HAY R/V HOW DID YOU DO ON YOUR TRIP.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Actually - I saved the money in fuel and jumped on a crew trip out of Dana Wharf on the Sea Horse - a friend of mine used to run the boat and said we were going to chase yellows at San Clemente Island.

The weather was unreal - never seen the backside of SCI so flat and calm. We fished reds in the morning - every drop was a quality fish - the yellows began to breeze under birds around 9am - we chased them around with bait and the surface iron. They finally started to chew in deeper water on the yo-yo - we ended up with 5 yellows up to 30lbs and limits of reds.

Great trip - but I'm glad I didn't burn $400 of diesel out of my boat. If this weather keeps up - I bet the yellows become even more active - and I'll give it another look.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the seabass at Catalina go on the chew around our next full moon.

Good luck if you get out.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
sound like a good trip, never seen back side of clemente , do to rough weathers , glad you enjoyed it ,does chris pica still capt. one of the boats down there. well i,ll be headen soon here on my first trip (ocean) this year , im still workin diamond valley lake for a striper.been on it for a while . tried everything up to 12inch trout pattern swimbait . its all about the right timing thats all. even with my friends new boat we didnt get bit. just kidden. Big Grin

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
You should try and fish San Clemente Island - when you have a chance - it can be some of the best quality yellowtail and calico that you'll find anywhere.

I'm not that familar with Dana Landing and don't know the name Chris Pica. Captain Tyler runs the Sea Horse - he's a young guy - but very, very sharp and he's dedicated to finding fish.

Good luck on the striper hunt - don't know much about that fishery.

RV

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
stipers are fresh water yellow tail, they pack a punch. ive tossed yozuri hard bait at them,caught a stiper 1/2 it size, and still spool me on my 8lb outfit, there unbelivable .

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Louie,

Just a quick prediction - watch the seabass counts over the next couple of weeks - the island is going to go WFO around the next 2 full moons - hope your trip is scheduled around then.

RV

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
yahh, i noticed the won papers are startn to show colors, but it wont be till after april 23 when my brother gets back. id love to leave this weeknd on the party boats, gotta work.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!