CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Tough Pick, but we Got'um Anyway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough Pick, but we Got'um Anyway
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got back home at 5:45 am Sat. morning from the Butter Fly Banks aboard the Amigo. 14 guys on a 1 1/2 day'er. Pretty much a Non event on the way out. 2-4 Swells, nothing that a patch could not handle.

5:30 am Fri. we start trolling the Butter Fly Banks. About 12 other boats fishisng the same area about 2-3 miles apart. Very slow scratch fishing, starting from 5:30 am on . Would jump sonar marks and kelp patties one after another. Would pick up 1, somethimes nothing, pull up and hunt for another school. Must have done that a dozen times. I think we had 10 Albies on board at 3 pm. At one of the patties the only hook up was a guy who tags a giant YT, fights it for about 15 min, he gets it on the surface right next to the boat, everyone is on the rail ooohhh'ing and aahhhhh'ing the thing is huge with bright yellow down its lateral line , sparkling white bottom and bright yellow on the tail fin tips. The water is so clear and with the calm surface it was quite a beautiful sight. At the last second before the gaff gets swung , Ka Binnnnnkkkkkk. (pulled hook) With that sound the whole boat groans, everyones eyes were on that huge Yellow Tail. Looked to me like a 35-40lb. It was a beauty. The bite was so tough I tried using 12# fluoro. Got bit almost immediately on the next sonar stop but lost it after about 3 minuts into the battle. Pulled my line in to examine the cause. The end of my line looked like someone stuck it in a blender, the end was shreaded in to fine strands. Most likely the hook set was deep in the mouth and the line got shreaded by some sharp teeth. Ditched the 12# and went back to 20#.

The troll was slow. From 6am to 5 pm only 3 albacore were troll caught. Small pink or purple hoochies. The little ones, not the big furry units.

Then about 5pm the switch gets TURNED ON . For the next 2 hours its not wide full open but a hot bite never the less. I end up with 7 Albacore for the day in the sack. Lost 2 , one pulled hook and one chew off just above the hook. Caught one Albe just under 40 lbs. Used 20 lb fluoro carbon leader/ 25lb main line, on a standard 7' 15-40 bait stick and an Avet MX 4.5:1, my favorite rig.

We end up with 58 Albacore and 1 blue fin.

Our fishing success was a direct result of Capt. Mike Thompson's hard work and willingness to burn fuel to catch fish. I am supprised he did not hit us with a fuel surcharge. Most of the other boats were just drifting while we were on the move , hunting. The effort paid off as the Amigo had the highest Albi count out of Newport for the day. I complemented Captn. Mike on his fine effort, he replys ..... "just got lucky' ....I reply.... "Luck always favors the well prepared" he just looks at me and smiles. Over all a great day at sea. Everyone went home with Albacore , sore arms and a smile on their face.

Lesson Learned: When on the stop and go hunt be prepared to be the first to get your sardine in the water. Was a little lazy at first until I got my bell rung a few times for not paying attention, it was obvious with only 1 mabe 2 or no Albacore being caught on each stop that it became imparitive to get my bait in the water as soon as the Captn. gave the green light. AS soon as he started that circiling move and the deckies start chumming I got my body to that bait tray, hook in left hand rod under my right arm.

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Walt, for all the great info and recommendation. What a great trip it turned out to be.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
walt, you da man.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
hook in left hand rod under my right arm.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mnrd55,

"Learn from the experts, you won't live long enough to figure it all out on your own..."

Posts: 178 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post