CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Combat Fishing at its finest.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combat Fishing at its finest.
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Oceanside 95, Helgrens Landing, 1 ½ day’er report.
Fishing 11/19/14
Got back home this morning 11/20 about 9 am. Hot shower and breakfast, I’m almost a human again.

Basically a good trip. The boat is huge @ 95 ft. but after starting with 11 one day before departure when I signed in we ended up with 29.
And if that wasn't enough they stuff 3 deadheads on the boat. Now if I may please let me bestow a bit of wisdom upon you all. I don’t care how long a boat is anything close to 30 is too many anglers. Way too many anglers. What happens is this. The boat almost always drifts bow pointing into the current. Yes wind effects this but unless the wind is overpowering the stern will most likely be down current or some degree off current but still down current. When this happen the mob is forced to the stern because that is where the current is taking their bait. And this always creates a cluster of blood thirsty lunatics at the stern especially at the corner closest to the direction of the current. There would constantly be 8 to 12 lines all going out in the same direction maybe a foot or two apart. With another 10 going in various directions off the stern. A certain recipe for disaster. After hooking up with two YF and two YT’s I had enough of that insanity and retreated to the bow. Ended up catching a mix of YT’s,YF and rock fish for a total of about 10 fish but I only took home 4 fish.

Lesson Learned:
Started out using 20lb fluoro with a 2/0 and could not get bit. Droped down to 15lb fluoro and started to get bit. Then droped my hook down to 1/0 and better still. The real hot sticks on the boat were using 15 or 20 fluoro with a #2 hook and butt hooking all the baits. One important thing I learned on this trip was that when dropping down to the smaller hooks you need to back that drag off a good amount. The light bulb went on after pulling the hooks on two really nice fish using the small hooks. Was running around 7-8 lbs of drag that setting needs to be in the 4-5 lb range.
Paid the price for not putting to use what I learned. Got stubborn and stuck with the heavier drag setting. For that I paid the price of a reduced catch and losing a couple of Jackpot potential fish.

Fished the Tanner banks about 90 miles off shore. Water depth around 120-200 feet. The weather was spectacular. Almost dead flat calm seas and 3 knot winds. Temps. in the mid 60’s semi clear skies. The bite can be best described as a med. hot pick bite. It was fairly steady all day. No one big school that chewed the paint off the hull. All fish were caught on the long soak. Would say the average was 70 yds from the boat. The fish were definitely boat shy. No more then 1-3 guys hooked up at the same time. The local bite is still on but tactics have to be refined and patience is a must. Minimum seal attacks. And a couple of Hammer Head shark assaults.
Final Count: 41 Bluefin Tuna, 43 Yellowfin Tuna, 35 California Yellowtail.

The crew did a good job and the Captn. put us on fish. What more could a guy ask for,
God is good.

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 343 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post