CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    The SANDMAN Lands a 46.3Lb Halibut off Newport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SANDMAN Lands a 46.3Lb Halibut off Newport
 Login/Join

Crew
Picture of FIT TO BE BIT
posted
Saturday June 23rd, me and Bob the “SANDMAN” LeBrun went out on my neighbor Mark the “BLACK POACHER” Gillespie’s new 23.10 Parker to explore for Halibut off of Balboa Beach near the Wedge.
Anticipation was high and expectations were low since it was a virgin area to us.
We were just grateful to be on the water and wanted to stay close because of the wind.
The wind blew early so we were only able to drift. We would go out to 100’ and drift in to 35’ which seemed precariously close to the beach. By 10:30 we had one parachute out to slow down our drift and we were forced to use 12 ounces of lead to stay on the bottom while drifting at 1.2MPH with live Sardines.
By noon we only had one short Halibut and numerous scratched baits to show for our efforts.
At 12:10 I noticed the SANDMAN’S rod was totally bent.
Once he was able to get the rod out of the holder, he thought he was stuck on the bottom.
I told him to treat it as if it were a fish, and then the fish moved and the fight was on.
Then the fire drill started!
We were already in 35’ of water and close to the beach.
We scrambled to reel in all the other rods on the boat and pull in the parachute so we could maneuver the boat. In the excitement my rod tangled the SANDMAN’S line but we kept our cool and got out of it.
A lifeguard boat drove by us on the inside and was going to warn us about being too close to shore but they left us alone when they saw we were hooked up and under power.
The battle lasted about ten minutes. The SANDMAN barely spoke, which is one of the only times he is his quiet, but he did a masterful job of fighting the fish.
The BLACK POACHER maneuvered the boat with great expertise.
Once the SANDMAN was able to get the fish up to the surface in the corner, I belly gaffed the fish, pulled it over the rail, leaving no doubt in landing the monster.
It was one of the finest orchestrations of team work I have ever been a party to.
We were all stunned at the size and headed straight for the Balboa Angling Club to weigh the fish.
The Halibut weighed 46lbs3oz on the certified scale and taped out at 47.5 inches.
This fish is a new club record in the BAC on #20Lb test. A record that has stood for seven years!
Congratulation to the SANDMAN for landing a fish of a life time!
Al “FIT TO BE BIT” Schneider

"You don't judge a fisherman by his gear but by how much time he spends in his laboratory"

Bob & Al with the 46.3

Posts: 8 | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Nice post Al,
Gives us all inspiration as to what the potential is for in shore fishing. Also like the usage of the 20# tackle. A real credit to the "Sandman". Dose not take much skill to wench'em in with a 40 set up. He was also lucky to have mates expierenced enough to handle the necessary grunt work to ensure his success. Congrats to your whole team.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of FIT TO BE BIT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Walt.
I'm by no means new to Charkbait even though I have few posts. I just reregistered.
I was the last President of Mark's Charkbait Saltwater Anglers Club before it was disbanned.
Max & I were known at Charkbait for catching alot of big Halibut.
Max and I taught "How to troll for Halibut" classes.
Max & I are co-authors of the "It's A Keeper" GPS Fish Finding Guide of Southern California.
Max passed away last year in May at the age of 82.
But we all felt that he was watching us that day.
Al

"You don't judge a fisherman by his gear but by how much time he spends in his laboratory"

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
very impressing fit to bit, congrats go to all who was involved.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Hey Al--my buddy 'borrowed' my copy of your book when he launched his new Mako. I haven't seen it since. We're having fuinexploring all of your spots. Thanks-nice book!

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Awesome Catch! Here I am thinking of giving up on these local waters. Nice to meet you Al "Fit to be bit." Welcome aboard for the second time around. I too have your book. I haven't found any spots yet because i haven't figured that whole "minutes and seconds" thing. But one of these days I'll know and I'll find a bunch of honey holes.

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of FIT TO BE BIT
posted Hide Post
Iggy,
Do you have the same boat I do?

Captain
posted Hide Post
Very similar. You have what looks like a walkaround. I have a Cuddy cabin which is useless until i have too much of the sauce. The rails off the front on mine are shorter. I have a blue bimini. The bottom paint on your boat is in much better condition. I've got nice gash on the side of my boat courtesy of the long beach launch ramp. Nothing like sideways currents. We have the same brand of trailer. I have small windows where the blue stripe is on your boat. I'll post a pick one of these days. I owe one of the posters a picture of my new trailer.

I love my boat. It sucks up more money than my woman at times but i aint giving it up. My dad is the primary shareholder of it but he never goes out with me. Infact he won't go unless i go. I'm the captain. but a poor one until i figure out how to navigate and use my equipment. Whats that thing one the front of your rail? is that sonar?

Gonna try to make my first trip to catlina this Sunday. Been too scared for the last 3 years. Conditions of the boat, battery, fuel have hampered my trips. Now i have all the kinks worked out of it along with vessel assist. I'm going for it.

Does anyone know what side of the island the white seabass are on? I think its the opposite side of avalone where all the kelpy stuff is.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Great story, great fish, great photo. :-)

When I was a high school kid surfers would hang at the Wedge, till too many got killed. The smoked fish on the pier was to die for. I was a cook at the KFC on the beach--don't know if its still there. We lived "night of the living dead" at that KFC every night: 10 minutes before closing, folks would be heading toward our store like zombies--arms outstretched, even--to get some of our chicken. Steve, my best boss ever, would shout out: "here they come, fire up four pots". Ahhh, the good ole days...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
MMMMMM! KFC. What happened to the good old days where i could eat a bucket and not have anything show up along my waistline? I'd eat that stuff everyday if it didn't kill a person.

Captain
posted Hide Post
You and me both, Iggy!

Back then we hand-cooked the stuff--now they use machines. IMO, hand-cooked was better, we cooks made sure it was all good.

I used to triple-dip the extra crispy, cause it was my favorite, and the standard "company" double-dip just didn't work as well: left some soft spots in the flour that flaked off during cooking and resulted in bald spots on the side breasts. I had a few "regulars", and one couple would trek from Long Beach once a week, after calling-in their order to make sure I was there.

Our store made the chicken for the 4th of July parade, probably in 1976--it was a big deal: five guys cooked 12,000 chickens between 3 AM and noon. We learned later that three guys at other stores severed parts of their digits cutting those birds for us on the circular saws. An assistant manager tried to impress the visiting suits, grabbed a ready pot and without looking casually flipped it on the sorting tray--a grapefruit-sized glob of the oil landed on his shoulder, and, well, you can imagine the rest: poor guy--never saw him again.

That chicken was made for people participating in a 200-year-birthday parade. That night was the super fireworks show on the HB pier. Was amazing--anyone remember it? A million-plus people would watch the 6" mortar ball fire, and all would say "oooohhh" as it streaked upwards, the boom of the ignited charge echoing off the water. Then a giant ball of light would fill the sky over the black ocean, and we million would say "ahhhh", as the ocean was colored like a hallucination. Then the fire started on the pier, we saw in horror the back-lit shadows of pyrotechs running (some jumping) for their lives, and the news later reported one didn't make it...

Several years earlier, my first job (chicken cook was my third) was on the Santa Monica pier, at the shooting gallery--anyone remember that? For a little fee, anyone could rent a .22 and fire away at little duck targets. My job at the end of the day was to use my bare hands to sort through the bullet dust and pick out casings. How they got there still baffles me--why weren't the casings near the guns? Anyway, a week of that and I quit--I'd earned enough to buy my first hand line, some terminal gear, and a bag of frozen anchovies, and soon caught my first Tom Cod. Weeks later, fishing on the HB pier for toms, I saw a guy carrying home a big bonito on his bike. Had to get another job--needed something bigger than a hand line...

Yeah... Wild times...

Captain
posted Hide Post
Nahhh... 1976 is when I got sucked into Chicago...

Well, it was some kind of huge deal. Guessing it must have been 1971 or 1972? Ach...

Captain
posted Hide Post
Good Times. Who cares when it was. Just as long as you remember the good times. My first jobs was selling pickles at Knotts Berry Farm. Had a great time there. Met lots of females.

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
this is getting to emotional for me.

well okay you beat me to say , my first job was on a motor cycle tossing newspaper in the snow. the company loved it so much , they gave me 2 routes for doing it fast.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you’re right, Iggy, exactly when doesn’t matter: thanks. It was good times.

And, Fosho, I agree, nostalgia has a tendency to get sappy--I prefer the new memories being forged on the high seas!

Searched the internet, decided folks who haven't lived in So Cal might be interested, I'll be brief.

Surfers are again let back in the water at the wedge--known for MONSTER waves--but only for bits of time: http://www.surfline.com/reports/report_travel.cfm?id=4232 . Santa Monica pier is a great place to take the kids: http://www.santamonicapier.org/ . Newport pier still has the fresh fish market (and, I bet, still usually marginal fishing) http://www.orangecountyshopping.com/ocsurfsandNewportPier.htm . Lido Isle was home of the super-rich, with one of the most posh malls in the USA (went there once, got chased out by a dude who ran an organ store--didn't like In A Godda da Vida). Finally, 20,000+ Google hits suggest that the pier, the parade, and the fireworks are still a big deal in HB. None of the recent photos show the bait shop that used to be at the end of the pier, just a radioactive-red eatery.

Finally, I found an excellent web map of the entire area (click the little hand and drag it—up and down, forward or backward—wherever you’d like to go): http://www.trulia.com/home_values/sold/CA/Huntington_Beach/92647/5271395/ .