Notify
Tools

WSB on STEROIDS
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Just got back from San Clemente Island with 14 others, this morning at 5am., a 1 1/2 day'er aboard the AMIGO out of Newport Beach. 4-6 swell ht. going out, 1-3 on the return. Light breeze, overcast for most of the day. Perfect weather.

We ended up with 7 Yellow Tail (15-20lb) and 3 White Sea Bass (37-42lb), 2 nice 20lb Halibuts. And another 70 fish, a mix of White Fish, Calico Bass, Sculpin etc. No Barracuda. No Yellowfin or Albacore. And one Octupus.... Released (LOL), He liked my squid. Smart little critter. He suctioned himself to the rail until he was let alone, then peacefully slid down the inside the gunwalls, sithered to a scupper and slowley worked his way back down the outside of the hull and into the water. Does all this with my squid still in his grasp.

I caught one of the WSB on a Kicker aluminum iron about 3 oz dull chrome on one side and white with gray outline around the outside. Pinned on 2 squid , cast it out and let it flutter stright down. Did not try to retrive it. Gave it line slowly with slight tention to keep in touch with in on the sink. Then about 1 min into the drop (120 ft water depth)I noticed a vary soft pull on the rod and my spool started to speed up just a little ......GREEN LIGHT. Not all WSB poop out after the first run. This one was on steroids, 3 strong runs and fought hard all the way to the boat. Had to use the rail several times. Was using my 8' 30-50 jig stick I just wrapped a couple of months ago with my Saltist 30H loaded with 40lb XXX Izor. Glad I was not using my normal 25 lb. set up. They do not have the YT speed but they have LOTSA power. Was all stoked up when it hit the deck. It weighed 37lb . The two other WSB weighed 42 lb. and 41 lb. That Kicker Jig was my favorite Jig, after landing the WSB, I loose it, in the boat. Am too embarrassed to give the gruesome details of that stupid fiasco.

Was not fortunate enough to hook a YT but had a great day. Ended up with about 40 lb of filets. WSB and various assortment of White Fish , Calicos, Sculplin etc. My neighbor will be happy.

The crew on the Amigo were diligent and Captin Mike worked hard to put us on fish.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sounds like quite the trip. Octopus are amazing, not to mention fun. I loved playing with them on the party boats in Florida (released unharmed of course).

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Were the yellows biting the yo-yo iron?

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Two YT on the Iron, both with some sort of blue pattern with a squid pinned on. A few on flylined Anchovies and some on the dropper looop with squid for bait.

Squid was the hot bait for the day. But then again there was myself and only one other even attempting the iron.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post