CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Yellow Fin Everyware @ the 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow Fin Everyware @ the 43
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We (17 guys 1 1/2 day'er) did not get'um all but we did get enough. The count was something like
34 Yellow Fin Tuna 20-32 lbs. and a mix of Dorado, Albacore, Skip Jack and Yellow Tail.
I end up hooking 6 YF and only landing 3. Two pulled hooks and one line break caused by rubbing in the corner of the YFs mouth. My line came back shreaded at the end. That YF must have had a deep hook set and just ground through the line with its teeth. My first hook up was by far the largest for the day. Had it on for at least 20 min. could not get it close to the boat. The fish would just not give up, I eventually pulled the hook. Was not too happy with that, when you spend all that time doing battle and never even see color, its a bummer. But on a good note the hook pulled, my knot did not break. These Yellow Fin are much tougher then Albacore. My sore factor attest to that. A 20 lb YF fights harder then a 30 lb Albie. My first hook up described above had me concerned after it ripped 1/3 of my line off , so I jacked the drag up to 8-9 pounds and the YF proceeds to show me whos the "BOSS" and in one run screams another 100 yds of line into the sea. Never saw or hear my spool spin so fast, it was literally screaming, it was in the truest sense of the word a hart stopper. Got mabe 50 yds remaining on the spool. At that point I am beginning to question the wisdom of using the 6500. But after that smoker I start to gain line back fast. Get about 80% of my line back before I hear that demoralizing KABINNNNNNNKKK of the pulled hook. A well fought battle, one YF rewarded with his freedom. One fisherman rewarded with the expierence.

Used my custom 8' 10" Bait stick with my ABU 6500 set at about 6 lbs of drag. Using 17 lb main Suffix Tritanium with a 6 ft. 25 lb Seaguar Premium Fluorocarbon 1/0 hook. The Prmimum is smaller in diameter then the standard Seaguar fluoro. The 25 has the diameter of 20 pound.

Over all an adventure to remember, but then again aren't they all. Cptn. Mike Thompson worked had trying to put us on fish. We made numerous stops on sonar marks and kelp pecking away 1-2 fish per stop all morning until about noon when we get our first hot pick. Cptn. Mike spots a school of Dolphin, we pull right up into the middle of the group , Mike kills the engins and proclaims the mother load is below us. Instant hook up all around the boat. Of the 34 YF boated mabe 20 came from that one stop. After about 20 min. it was over with , back to the troll. Speaking of which was dead all day, we caught one small Albacore trolling a red Marauder late in the PM.

I had them only gut and remove the head on my Tuna. They waste too much
good meat when you have the boat clean your fish. Especially when the fish is over 20 lbs. Its a speed butchering process not dedacated to customer sastisfaction. I like to grill the Collars which they always discard to the Sea. And the fatty bellies which are prime sushi , again are always discarded. I get home and go to filet out my fish and upon looking at my prized Yellow Fin I discover that they had cut the head off behind the pectoral fins, I was *%^$%$%*($^*'ed. The very collars I was looking forward to grilling had been dumped into the sea. ON top of that I only had 2 YF in my sack I caught 3. Have heard of that happening to others but never thought it would happen to me. Thats what I get for thinking LOL !! Oh well, if thats the worst thing that happens to me this week I had a great week.

You can always tell the Captains who have their clients best interest as the main goal. The are WILLING to burn fuel to find the fish. They may not always find the fish but their hart is aimed in the right direction. Captn. Mike is not shy about buring fuel.

Lesson Learned: When the troll is absolutely DEAD it indicates that the fish are not in a chasing mood consequently use a little lead 1/2 -1 oz up from your Sardine or Chovie to get the bait down to where the tuna are. If they are reluctant to hit the troll they will be reluctant to come up for your bait. Get it down there and stick it in front of their faces. Guys with the weight were much more successful than the flat liners.

The sea was dead calm, perfect weather. Warm not hot. Mostly overcast with a vary light breeze.

Pulled into port at 3am. , got home last night aroun 4 am.

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for giving me the good tip about the weight if they aren't hopping into the boat by themselves, i've seen a guy kill them using that method, it can cause tangles but ony if you arent careful. I also appreciate the weather report, as i am going preety soon. Yellowfin fighting harder well, As long as they fight hard that's all that matters. It would really be just too hard to get an exact factoid on that but I could eat albacore faster than a yellowfin so that makes it a tie !! Great job, thank you for putting in the report, and nice picture, I will hope to get as good of a trip. Yes, very neat !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
CV,

Here are a couple of weather sites I always consult before I go out, really good info 3-4 days before and through your trip dates.

http://www.lajollasurf.org/images/calanim.gif

ON the link below go the bottom and click on the area you will be fishing for a detailed weather foracast.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wxplanner.php?site=sgx

Good luck on your up comming adventure, and be sure to post up with a nice detailed story.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the memories,,, I think I'll get out my rods and reels really soon. Nice smile on that Yellowfin, and that Tuna catcher looks like he's happy too !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post