CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Albacore are Comming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albacore are Comming
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
July 7 & 8th, Pacific Voyager
A more descriptive report below.

>OVERVIEW:
>
>They can swim but they cannot hide. There was no place to swim to get away from our certified hunter killer Captain Mark Oronoz, Owner Operator of the Pacific Voyager. Have been on 4, two day Tuna Trips for the last 4 years in a row on the Pacific Voyager and we have always been successful. It was non-stop hunting, attacking sonar marks one after another, picking up maybe 4 or 5 at various stops until after lunch the first day. Then we got into the Albacore heavy. Pulled maybe 20 from one spot and moved on to another sonar mark for about 30 more. The next morning we deck maybe 20 or so until we had to pull up and head back to port at around 1pm.. We end up with 101 Albacore15 -32 lbs, 1 Yellow Tail 12 lb & 2 Blue Fin 35 & 29 lb..
>
>SUCCESSFUL RIGS:
>
>All fish caught Fly Lining Sardines or on the Troll.
>The Captain and the Deck Hands would repeatedly tell every one not to use anything over 20 lb. for the live bait fishing. That advice was golden. Anyone with the 25-30 string was hardly getting bit at all. You paid big time to be stubborn and stick with the heavy stuff. Would say it was 4 to 1 in favor of the 20lb test line. I had pre-rigged my bait sticks with 17lb main with 6ft., 20lb Fluoro Carbon leader before leaving for Seaforth Landing. My favorite set up for this type of live bait Albacore fishing is an 8'-10" Med-Fast action, 15-25lb rated rod blank that I wrapped myself and an ABU Garcia 6500 that I had modified by removing the level wind, installing better bearings and souping up the drags. It is capable of pulling 10lbs of drag but I usually do not go over 5-6 lb so I have plenty of head room. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of using Fluorocarbon that day. I did not notice any appreciatable difference between those using it and those not using it. I always use it because it can only help. It's been said that Fluoro helps the most on a sunny day with its effectiveness being diminished on cloudy over cast days. Our entire 2 day trip was heavy overcast. No sunshine. So it is possible that was the cause of the Fluoro not being necessary. Hook sizes, 1/0 and 2/0 were universal in application. Some guys using maybe and eighth oz barrel slider. The most successful trolls used the darker hoochies. Brown Orange, Purple Black and Mex. Flag all got bit. No distinct preference shown.

>PERSONAL HIGHLIGHTS: The good ones!
>
>Ended up with the 2nd highest fish count with 10 Albacore (Mex. legal limit), caught 9 the first day and just one the morning of the second day. That one was caught on my trolling rotation. Had the Port corner when the Starboard corner gets knocked down, the whole boat goes the standard slide with everyone pitching Dines every which way. I start my wind up and about a half the way back my Pink White / Blue White Hoocie tries to dislocate my left shoulder. Pulling in the two troll fish brought some of the school right up to the boat. The live bait guys are getting hammered, bent sticks every where. About 7 bit guys get jammed up in the Starboard corner. What a mess. The Deckies eventually cut 2 of the lines with Albacore ATTACHED. I am thinking Bummer. But the next thing I know the mess is untangled and I see the same two Deckies hand lining in the Albacore, they saved them BOTH, no rod no reel. I was impressed. These guys are good, probably the best I have seen on a local boat.
> We pull up to the only patch of Kelp for the day and was able to pitch a nice fat Sardine right next to it. Immediate pick up, the tail beat is screaming Yellow Tail. I am about 2 min into it when the hook gets pulled. Another guy manages to boat a YT about 12 lbs.. Five Minutes later we are on the hunt again.
>
>PERSONAL HIGHLIGHTS: The bad ones!
>
>Now have 3 bandaids on the fingers of my rt. Hand. Pulling hard on 20 lb mono with wet hands can have negative effects. Namely cuts right into the soft water soaked calouses where your finger bends. My back hurts and my legs feel like rubber. My zip has been zapped. I shuffle instead of walking LOL!
>
>Was feeling pretty good about my results for the first day. 9 for 9 with the Albies and 0 for 1 with the YT's. This is what I call fishing. The next day had different plans for my ego. It got knocked down , kicked hard and stepped on. One troll Albie in the early AM and nothing else for the entire day. Could not figure why I was not getting bit on the live bait. Everything rig wise was identical to the previous day but I could not buy a hook up. In fact I was not even getting picked up. Even went down to 15lb Fluorocarbon with no change in results. About the only possibility I could think of was not thoroughly washing my hands before handling the bait. Other wise I am at a loss to explain the negative result for the second day. If any ideas out there I am all ears.
>
LESSON LEARNED: I do not know everything.....dag nab it. LOL!!

>Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yep, they're here! Albies, Bluefin, Yellowfin, Yellowtail, and a few Dorado on our 3 day aboard the RP that just came back. Jeff, from our shop was on the trip. Good size, good numbers! He'll post some pictures ASAP.

GS<
MS

Posts: 1485 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Man, that's what I call a detailed report, and useful too! Thanks for the hot scoop - always good to get info first hand!

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Next month you can post this report backwards, Because then they will be leaving !!! I am so clever, but that's why I am here at CHARKBAITS TUNA EATERS CLUBHOUSE !!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post