CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Coastal yellowtail report for 6-20-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coastal yellowtail report for 6-20-13
 Login/Join

CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted
Haven't had much time to get out this year as the bites just haven't been cooperating with my work schedule or home life but after getting a couple bits and pieces of info this past week a buddy and I decided at 10pm on Tuesday night to go for broke and make the run to SD and try for some c-bass and tails. Hooked up with Reese ( a customer that's turned into a good buddy) in Dana Pt. and hooked up his 17' whaler to his truck and took off with high hopes. Around 12:30am around the 5 /8 split ( I think it is) we hit a big pothole or transition on the freeway and we felt a big pop and then the spark shower erupted. We'd popped the tongue of the trailer off the ball of his truck hitch. Luckily the safety chains held most of the weight and it was just the trailer jack u bolts that where dragging. Took a while to get the trailer and truck hooked back up but around 1:30am I think we where on our way again. Finally got the ramp around 2am unloaded the boat and headed off. Had numbers but my bud hadn't quite figured out his new dragonfly gps so we couldn't input them. No biggie as we knew the depth and general area.
About 3:30 we get to the zone and set up. Squid under the boat in 15min and in 30 min we tanked up with fresh squirts (thanks to the 6x6 crowder) and then went to work. Lots of bait and tons of marks from the right kind. Unfortunately the anchor slipped and we slide out of the zone and by the time we got back into position our spot was gone so we set up as close as we could to the nest with out getting in anyone's way. By now it was graylight. Shortly after re setting I pitched out a bait and got tapped and set the hook, couple good head shakes and zzzzz for about 10 seconds and then the hook pulled. Dang !!!! Remembered a bud saying the fish where lightly tapping the baits and to let them run a bit. Short while later I got the opportunity to redeem myself , got a bite and let the fish run to a five count and set him up and zzzzzzzz fish on. Nice battle and about 10 min later a nice 28 to 30# class tail hits the deck

Sweet we're finally on the board. Kept working at it and about an hr later I get another biter. Same set up, count to five and put the reel in gear and zzzzzzzzz off to the races again. Another fun battle and another tail hits the deck. This one a bit smaller going 22#'s.

that was it on exotics for us but we did get some monster cuda's and bass. Got both the tails on gopro from bite to hitting the deck too. Hope to post'em up soon. Here's a fat sandie that took 3 squids pinned on a 8/0 aki

Unfortunately my buddy Reese only had 3 or 4 short bites while fishing rod holder style. That wasn't working for the guys I new . Had to have it in your hand and earn it. We had a long night with no sleep so at 10am we called it a day and headed for the barn. Fun day on the water with e new buddy.
If your heading down that way to fish, ballons or flyline or 1/8 ounce slider seemed to be working the best. Keep the baits high up in the zone. Most fish we metered where in the top 20 to 30' of the water column. Personaly I used 65 braid to a short 5' piece of seagaur blue lable 30# with an 1/8 ounce slider above a 7/0 or 8/0 aki hook with 2 to 3 squids pinned on. Go Get'em their biting !!!!!

Tight lines,
B

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post