CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    3/4 day H&M Landing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3/4 day H&M Landing
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
I jumped on a 3/3 day trip because of the bonita counts out of San Diego. It took 3 hours to get to the Coronados. 1/2 hour to get the manefest right. The boat had to be traveling about 7-8 knts. Must be the new way to save gas. Anchored up for some rockfishing. Picked at small rockies. I threw a nice dean down and caught the jackpot ling. Only about 10 of the rockfish were good enough size to keep by my standards. We motored south of the island to a spot where bonita and yellowtail were breaking and slip into on school and they would not go off. Found a second school and decided to drop the anchor sine the baby rockfish were biting and maybe the bonita would swim through if we got lucky. Back at the dock when they handed out the fish bags my sack of filets with my jackpot ling and a five lb rockfish was missing. Oops! They don't know what happened. Maybe mislabled. No more 3/4 day trips for me with the tourists. I spend too much time and energy to waste my time on these trips. Well at least I won $160 and met some of America's finest from the base.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Some boats do lose fish bags frequently, some times i end up shortened and also I have ended up with extra's. I know that after thousands of fillets a guy would lose a few here and there, I bet that they don't try and make this happen it is just pure human error and nothing personal. Sometimes I take my fish whole and save the hassle, but 6 large 40lb Albacore from a 3-Day LEGEND trip and that's the end of keeping whole Tuna's for me. That is preety DANG HEAVY and boy what a mess that was. Every boat has a few mishaps and I wonder what does one expect for 50$ , You can't get any better than what is going now so I learned to appreciate just having the opportunity to legaly fish without it being against the law like it may be someday.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Yeah I can see how the mistake could be made. At least I was out on the wide open blue. It was nice out there anyway.

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Captain
Picture of AzFish
posted Hide Post
Mr. Tuna, I believe you have every right to be angry. I am not sure, but I assume you paid for your trip, and paid for your fileting, and paid for your galley fees with perfect, usable money. You made no mistakes in paying, why should you accept mistakes in the services you recieve? You were not asking for anything other than what you were paying them for.

Posts: 131 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
You won the jackpot-did you tip the crew?

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Very well but next time I will wait until my fish is in my hands before I do.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I had that happen to me once. And let me tell ya once was enough!! .....(so much for at least 20 lbs. of what would have been smoked salmon.) I was mad to say the least no more riding inside and yuk it up when the fish is being cleaned. now I'm looking over there shoulder as my fish are being cleaned even if I'm the last sack they grab...and yes with tip in hand ! watching your catch on short trips like that is a must.And no it's not always the deck hands fault either. I have seen deckhands yell out "who's fish is this..who's fish is this?" and with no response.all some jerk has got to do is say "mine"
...well you caught fish, won a jackpot and stored up some more great memories it wasn't a total loss !!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have fished this boat many times, never had a problem with the deckies. As a matter of fact thought very highly of them, maybe it was a off day. Truely, that Captain is really friendly, and goes out of his way to make for a good trip. The ride out is often worth the fishing if the yellowtail wanna play - you pay your money and take your chances. I would not take this boat off your list - you'd be missing out.

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post