CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Laguna Niguel Lake Feb 12 2012 (from shore)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laguna Niguel Lake Feb 12 2012 (from shore)
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
So took the whole family fishing Sunday at LNL.

Got there at 510am to be 2nd in line.
by 600am there were about 10-15 in line...

Get setup in zone 2 near the stump.
First line in the water around 610am. First bite and landed fish around 630am.
I'm thinking its going to be a good day.

My dad was with me, he gets setup, but no bites.

Proceeded to get bites on my poles but couldn't get a good hookset on anything.
Was fishing nightcrawlers with PB, powerbait micetails, and straight powerbait.
Even the live bait stuff couldn't get hookups on. Very frustrating.
I recalled from previous trips there, that when the bites gets like this, its best to be VERY patient on the first bite, let the fish swim with the bait for a while before trying to set. So tried that, but to no avail, set the hook, feel the fish for a second, then he's gone.

Anyways, this was happening all thru the day. Finally landed another one on nightcrawler with PB, that was lip hooked, of all things. This was after it took me about 5 sec to get to the pole, 2-3 sec to get it off the stump, and I waited and watched the line moving in the water for another 5 seconds or so.

Last 2 were landed between 4pm and 5pm. 1 on yellow/red micetail, and 1 on straight powebait (rainbow garlic).
All casts were with either Love Sauce, biteon garlic, or berkley trout dip.

My poor father got skunked. Felt really bad about that. He had 3 solid bites, that the fish got away on.

I am speculating here, but here is my theory on fish behavior on Sunday's as I have fished LNL just after stocking on Wed, and fished Sundays and Mondays multiple times.

I've found the fish will bite on Sunday on Mondays but I am always getting these weird "flutter" bites. Where the bobber/strike indicator, starts fluttering up, but you don't see the rod go BENDO! like it does on Wed.... This pattern only started after the new year when Rick started putting the trophy trout in there, as well as the 1.5 pounders.
I believe its because we have a form of survival of the fittest here. The dumb fish that bite hard, swallow the bait and run are all fished out by then.
Most fish left are the ones that bite, and hold bait in mouth for a long time without swallowing. So when we set the hook, we are pulling the bait and hook right out of their mouth. Anyways, that's my theory, I'm curious to see what others think.

I saw it happening all around me with guys that were way better fisherman than me.

Was a nice day on the lake otherwise, got to spend the day with my Dad, with the rest of my family and Mom showing up later...
A boater caught a 11 lb 2 oz trout in the flats...

Tight lines everyone!

Posts: 15 | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the report.

As for the light bites,probobaly not bites. We call them swim by's. The fish swim into the line as they work they're way up or down the shoreline. When they hit the line your bobber jumps like its a strike but it's actualy a false strike. Not much you can do when they're acting like that but fish smaller baits and on short 2# flouro leaders.

tight lines and "A" for effort,
Behdad

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks Behdad,
I figured that for the bite "flutters" as we were calling them.

It also makes sense as I saw two fish swimming in shallow water (less than 10 feet from shore) on Sunday...
However, when I get to the pole, pick it and pull in the slack and watch the line still move in the water - whot could account for that?
I know LNL has lots of bluegill and crappie, could they be just taking the portion of the micetail without the hook? That would explain the powermouse and micetail issues, but not the powerbait only issues.?

CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Good morning,

"However, when I get to the pole, pick it and pull in the slack and watch the line still move in the water - whot could account for that? "

I believe the term they use is "Lineing them". Thats when the line goes between the upper and lower jaw of the fish. Like how they fish the yarn and small splitshot about 2' and just cast out and try to get the section of line between the sinker and harn to go between the fish's upper and lower jaw and when they see the line stop moving thru the water they swing and snag the fish on the side of the mouth.

Basicly the trout are swimming by and your line going into the fishs mouth and as he swims it pulls you bobber up or pulls the slack out of your line but when you swing the line just goes threw the fish's mouth. Unless you snag them you dont hook anything and you usualy only snag them if you line them near your hook/sinker. That used to be an old snag method on the big tankers at SARL back in the day.

Hope the info helps,
Behdad

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks Behdad! It is all making sense now.
I appreciate the advice!

Will be going again the 22nd, this time with my brother and my niece, can't wait!
(my brother is a waaaayyy better fisherman than me).