Tools

Yellow Tail Pick
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Yellow Tail Pick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returned Sat. from a 1 1/2 day'er on the Amigo out of NewPort Harbor. Hit the Cortez Banks for a steady pick of Yellow Tail. They would not touch the Sardines, it was live Squid only. But the Bonita loved the Dines. Caught an 8 pounder for our yearly club record. The YT was a slow steady bite all day. In about 80 ft of water. One needed to be using at least 25lb as the rocks were close and I personally lost 2 on power dives to freedom. They were in the 20 to 25 lb range, a nice grade of fish. All YT were caught on Squid with a 3/0 - 5/0 hooks , 25-30 lb line, using 1/8 - 1/4 oz barrel sinker right up to the hook. Fluoro was used but guys not using it did just as well. It was a heavy over cast day.

LESSONS LEARNED:
Lesson #1.... An old salt gave me this valuable tip. When your squid gets out there over 100 yds. , instead of just normally reeling it in , try retrieving it back vary slowly. About 1 crank every 3-4 seconds. Got picked up twice using this method. Have never got hit on the faster normal retrieve. The ultra slow retrieve keeps the Squid at depth, where the faster retrieve pulls the bait up to the surface out of the prime strike zone. It works!!

Lesson #2.... If you are prone to sea sickness ALWAYS take you motion meds reguardless of the sea state. Left Newport motoring in 1 footers, convineced myself that I would not need medication. Well , we get to the Cortez Banks the next morning and there are 9-10 footers out there, long intervals but huge reguardless. Put my patch on but it was too late, supplied the chum line for 3 hours before it kicked in. Still was not 100% but at least I could fish. Made several mental errors as a result of the on going nausea that cost me 2 nice YT.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
Walt - sounds like a good trip.

Lesson #1 is a great point - same holds true after a long soak on a flylined sardine or mack - a slow crank in - change of direction against the current can evoke a strike

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
"Against the current" , why diden't I think of that. Thankx for the analytical thinking.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
great report and lessons walt.

no matter how many times we fish per year, i always learn somthing new.

being doing this since diaper age.lol

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post