CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    Going coastal gets it done. Tanker report 6-29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going coastal gets it done. Tanker report 6-29
 Login/Join

CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted
Was hoping to get back to Catalina to try and get on the WSB bite again but the weather report for Tuesday night /Wednesday was showing possible wind gusts to 25 knts so Cat was taken off the list of spots to try. My buddy Dean had said he was going to fish solo localy so I hit him up to find out what his game plan was. After getting the low down while at work on tuesday I jammed home right after closing and got the gear and boat together and headed off to hook up with Dean on the water. Launched the boat around 9:30pm tuesday night and shortly therafter arrived at the spot to see Dean in his 28' skipjack as well as a couple other boaters who where all soaking baits. I made a quick pit stop by Deans boat to drop off a thermo of coffee and also got 15 or so pieces of squid to get started with. Thanked Dean for the squid and moved off to find a nice spot. Saw some good squid marks at 76' and marked the spot on the gps and dropped the hook. Got the generator and the 400w metal halide squid light running and with in minutes of firing it up I had squid under the boat. Worked at catching ones and two's with a brail net for about an hr and thats when the bucktail rod doubled over and then the clicker sang ZZZZZZZZ!!!!! Grabbed the rod and went to work on a mean pulling WSB. Pulled so hard I thought I had a big batray on the line but after a nice battle I saw a fatty coastal tanker WSB silouette under the squid light. Tried to grab the gaff but the hook point got stuck under the gunnel. Thought one of the 8 to 10 seals I had around the boat was going to hit it while it floated on the surface but they where more interested in the squid than the fish and I was finaly able to put the gaff in the fish and get her over the rail.

On the lucky bucktail

Super fat and thick fish for its length.

Its 49" long and I still need to get the girth but its gotta be between 45 and 50#'s. Watch think ?? either way I was stoked to get one and so fast. Got the gear redropped and then gave Dean a call on the cell and let him know what happened and wished him luck as he'd been on the water for about 7hrs all ready and he was still fishless. At about 5am or so my cell rings and Deans got the amp/pump in his voice and he says he landed a nice 48" one. Was stoked for Dean as it was his first solo WSB and it also broke his WSB hex he had going this year. We both continued fishing untill about 8:30am and then headed for the barn with one each. Pretty killer as we only saw one other fish landed thru the night/morning.

Good buddy boating with you Dean and congrats on the solo Coastal tanker WSB.

Tight lines,
B

Posts: 172 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manager CB Huntington Beach shop
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Sick Beta
See ya at the shop

Posts: 10 | Registered: 02 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel