CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    I went fishing twice last week
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I went fishing twice last week
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Friday 8/3/07
Launched at 11:30 PM heading towards Catalina Island. I will never launch at this time ever again! Waves were calm. Visability was NILL. Fog everywhere, clouds all over, and No moonlight. Very Dangerous! I asked everyone on the boat if they wanted me to turn around. Everyone kept telling me to keep going. We cruised about 15MPH on a straight shot to Avalon. 2 guys on the front of the boat with bright flashlights assisting with sight. Then all of a sudden i hear, " FLAG FLAG FLAG!" i quickly turned the boat and barely missed a floating bouy with no reflector strips on it. I immediately start going slower around 12MPH. Thank goodness we didn't hit it. We got to the island after 3 hours safely. Fishing on this day was crappy. I couldn't catch anything. I even had a chum bucket to get the fish closer but they were just laughing at us. I thought the fishing would be better due to the dark night. We were skunked. Interesting experience but we all got skunked at the island and I will never leave at this time again. On the way back we saw some Orca and about 3 schools of dolphin.

Thursday 8/9/07
we launched at the same time. This time the plan was the Huntington Flats. We anchored up by the Long Beach Breakwall and slept until about 5 AM. We headed out towards the flats and it was open season on mackeral all day for my dad. Thats all hes interested in. So the old man was happy. I wanted bass! I was working the fishtrap swimbaits then switched to the krocadiles and got several hits but i couldn't set the hook on any of them. I need a more sensative rod! I resorted to fishing for mackeral. I caught one. Then hung it over the bimini for someone to get. No one got it because they were preoccupied with the 22.5 inch bass someone else caught. Since i wanted my rod i got up on the boat (in the front) and started yanking it to get my fish and continue fishing. While standing a rogue wave hits the boat and I go flying off the boat into the water. Water temp was about 70 degrees. I freak out and forget to swim. The guys on the boat rushed to my rescue and got me out of the water. Later on they told me they noticed i was getting so frustrated that they thought i jumped in the water after something. How embarrassing. I had a blast. We were on the bite all day for something with the possability of bigger fish. Good trip! I now need to buy a non obstructive life vest.

The bass are still around. For you 1/2 day guys and PB'ers now is the time to go because the local bite doesn't get this good for long. Happpy Fishing!

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Iggy, your Guardian Angel is working overtime for you, bro! Parts of your report would almost be funny, except, well, the possible implications are so awful. I'm glad y'all are OK.

I believe that, like divers, boaters (particularly less experienced boaters) should use the buddy system. I know, I know. But my HQ is in emergency medicine--we see what happens when things work out badly.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Planet Doodman I know. I post the story as lessons learned for anyone who read it. Someparts are comical and i can laugh about but as stated there are things i did that i should never ever do again! I hope all new boaters read this and any other stories i had because i'm learning as i go. Thanks for the concern brotha.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Iggy. I hope you and your dad catch lots of mackerel and bass, many, many times, and always come back safe and sound... There aren't enough good guys left...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
iggy, your story did make me laugh , and sorry if it offends you, now you can laugh at this story for what im about to tell you.

some years back fishing on a 24 californian, at the back side of catalina, we were in a school of cudas , when we decided to move , we started the engine, shift in to gears, pulled on the throttle , we hear the engine reeevvvvvvv but no movement, lol i yelled to put in gear and still no movement of the boat,...

it turned out after sending my uncle down under the boat , the prop fell off. lol its the only engine we had, no secondary outboard.

we drifted for about 8 hrs under the hot summer sun ( no bimini cover ) we had an ice chest full of beer and a gallon of water,
after about 8 hrs of drifting, the images or thought of survival in everyones head are showing on there faces ( 4 on the boat )

who cares about the beer ( can cause dehydration
the gallon of water was in the chest that i was using to sit on and still continuing to fish.lol
sorry your question about useing a radio ( did not have one, or an anchor, or really anything of that matter, just sucks thats all.
well ending this story 3 weeks of 2 and 3rd degree burns ( could not get out of bed , the skin cracks and it hurts more) we just purchased the boat and was overexcited to take it out.

a big lesson learned, allways have back up.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
oh what happened with the gallon of water lol, im still alive , thanks to my uncle and his buck knife to stray off the others, lol..

some guy was cruising by in his little 18 tryhuller and towed us in for 800.00 bucks.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
Louie, I was speaking tonight with my fishing brother, Gordon. We met on the 10-day last year, and are going again together this year. Similar-minded, we want to fish till our arms fall off.

I was telling him about your story. Adrift, no radio, no food, minimal water, shifty-eyed people on the boat, and you--fishing the entire way. Once again, I'm there with ya, bro!

Ahhhhhh.... I was jigging for Tarpon in Florida with my brother in law, under the charter of Cap'n David Grahm--best fishermen I ever met. We called it a day, cause giant storms were moving in. My bro in law and I treated Dave to a lunch back at the marina. Dave's partner was still out on a charter, so Dave called him from the table on--not sure what kind of phone (cell, maybe)? Anyway, Dave asked his partner how it was, and whether he and his single passenger were coming in. We heard the partner shout to the fisherman whether he wanted to go in. What we heard rings in my head: "I see three water spouts within a half-mile of the boat, I got a giant tarpon on the line, and a river flowing down my crack: man, this is fishing!" So, the partner told Dave that he was staying out. Yeah... (yet, I was happy to be out of the fray, chowing down on a burger)

Captain
posted Hide Post
PS: Gordon agreed, both of us thought that fishing sounded like a capital idea in your circumstance. We both wondered if ya caught anything...

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
yes i did, lol

i was the only person to hook up and land the baracudas, everyone else was so pist about the trip, they took my pole away and threw it over,lol. it was a cheapy pole and it did not belong to me.later that evening my uncle asked what had happed to his pole, lol i replied you threw it over,lol.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
posted Hide Post
LOL!

That's awesome, Louie...

Iggy and Louie--glad ya made it. And, all the rest of ya PBers.

Captain
posted Hide Post
My first trip on the boat we fried the motor. Had to get towed back by Sea Tow. 250 bucks down the drain. We got the motor replaced a year later and got stuck again due to a fuel obstruction in the carburator. Another 200 dollars pissed away. The second time were just a few feet from longbeach Breakwall. Very dangerous.

Cap'n Lou.... you stories are hilarious and no i dind't get offended because i laughed at myself more than anyone for falling off.

Captain
posted Hide Post
I think your stories are comical too, Iggy, since you are OK. Especially the "forget to swim" part! LOL!

Man, the more I hear, the more I'm glad I don't have a boat. A boat would, no doubt, make me broke! I'd probably screw it up every way known to man, and invent a few new ways to screw it up all by myself.