CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    More Than Enough Albacore
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Than Enough Albacore
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Left last Thursday 10pm for the Tanner Banks. The usual bait barge stops .Non event on the way out. 3ft swells, easy passage to the tuna grounds.

Set my alarm for 5am, woke up at 4am. . Captian say we cannot troll yet as we were still about 45 min away from our destination. About 4:45am we get the OK to troll. Only 3 of us up at that time so we all set up our troll rods and kick back waiting for that tell tale scream of the reel clicker. Nothing happening. Around 5:30 am every one is up so the scheduled trolling rotation is implemented. I check the horizon and counted no less then 16 other charter and private boats in the area. Several miles between each so no problems from them.

The troll was absolutely dead. Not one knock down before 1 pm. We hit sonar marks all morning long. Catching mabe 1 Albacore on every other stop. Tough scratch fishing all morning. This continues until about 2 pm. I am on the troll rotation with a Blue/White & Pink/White Hoochie. This set up gets hit, the only strike of the day. What ever it is , it is BIG I cannot move this fish using a 60lb rig. In the mean time the bite has gone WFO while I am playing tug of war with SOMETHING. Tuna are hitting the deck with that deep “Thud” with that rapid jack hammer tail pounding the deck. What ever I have is now stright down beneath the boat, mabe 100 ft. and I cannot budge it. Have the reel set for about
12 lbs of drag so I figure there is enouth head room to increase the drag. I tighten it down another few pounds and start to put everyting I have into lifting this THING up to color. Well, you guessed it, Ka BinnnnnnK or Ka ZinnnnnnG . Pulled that 7/0 hook from the jaws of what must have been at least a 100lb Blue Fin. ( I can dream can’t I ) Never saw color.

In the mean time there is blood all over the deck. I bait up and get into the action. For the next 2 hours we hit two more spots that were all HOT! 17 guys end up with 136 Albacore. I end up hooking 12 and landing 7. Am not too proud of that as it’s a majior effort of mine to land all fish hooked. But, it was not to be. Lost 2 to a broken line, lost 2 to pulled hooks and lost 1 when my fish and another hooked fish decided to do the tango right on the surface next to the boat. The deckie and I did our best to keep them separate but it was an impossible task. Two 30lb Albies going to war on the surface resulted in the freedom for one, the gaff for the other. I high five the deckie , re-tie, bait up and get back into the fray.

It gets to the point that we all stop fishing right in the middle of a wide open bite. There are free swimming and surface crashing Albacore every where. We just kicked back and enjoyed a cold beer watching the show. The captian fires up and we head to the lee side San Clemente Island for a grilled steak dinner. Hit the sack and arrive back at New Port Harbor at 5am.

This was my 5th trip on the Amigo and Captain Mike always been willing to hunt until we find um , he never gives up. The crew was great and needless to say with a 136 in the hold they worked hard.

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Way to go Walt and nice report. Dose the Amigo freeze your catch or chill the fish?

Posts: 406 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
The fish handeling was an issue. We caught so many we filled the hold up which is refrigerated not a freezer. They had to start cleaning the tuna and had to stack it on deck in the corners in gunny sacks with the sacks layered and covered with ice. Certinally not optimal but when we got our tuna on departure it was plenty cold enough. I transferred it to my cooler with ice and the next morning is was vary cold and seemed OK.

I do have one issue however. The plastic bags that they put the tuna in were EL-Cheap-O's, light duty, too thin. When I put the bags of tuna in my cooler several ripped open spilling the tuna out of the bags. I had dumped 20lbs of ice in the cooler. In the morning the ice had partially melted and fresh water surrounded the filets that spilled out of the ripped bags. The fresh water ruined the filets it had contacted , they were like so much MUSH! Consequently I lost about 1/2 of my tuna to this fresh water contamination. Next time if the situtation is not rectified I will bring my own Industrial Strenght bags. LOL.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
walt, congrats on the trip. those albie core really showed up at the last minutes.

just glad you put the hurt in them. lol

congrats again.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
3 Things that I hate to complain about ;
1) Too many fish for the boat to handle ,
2) I need to get some help stuffing all this money into my wallet ,
3) And I don't know how I am going to have sex with all three beauties that want me to sleep over tonite!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
That's a complaint that I've has before, Walt. I think that I should buy a case of good quality bags and begin the trip with a gift of them to the crew. Makes friends aboard.

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post