CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    San Clemente...go deep or go home.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Clemente...go deep or go home.
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Overnighter on the Pacific Quest out of Peirpoint Landing. Departed Fri. evening 9:30 pm on 4/9/15. Return 4/11/15. 9 pm. Never been on this boat before but the thought of only 12 anglers max on a 57 footer was too much to ignore.

She’s an older model just like all the rest of the charters in the local offshore fleet. A bit narrow in the beam but I am not out there to do boat surveys I’m out there to go fishing. When commenting on fishing trips the primary focus is not the boat but the Captain. Just like the saying goes…”it’s not the gun it’s the gunner” . And this trip we had a good one. Captain Greg Obymako did his job and then some. The results tell us everything. 12 anglers caught 33 YT’s that’s almost 3 per angler. And that’s not counting the many lost fish due to various and stupid reasons. The YT bite was slow but steady all day. The bite did not turn on to high until on the way home Captn. Greg says we are going to stop at a kelp line off San Clemente and finish off the trip with some Calico Bass fishing. We anchor up about 30 yds. from the kelp and the Calicos started jumping into the boat. 2-5 pounders. Have never seen a bite so hot. There were free swimmers all around the boat. Calicos and Yellow Tails. We only stayed about 30 min. but that was enough. A nice load of Calicos and smaller YT’s to finish off the day. We motor up and about 6 hours later we are at the landing.

Personally caught 7 YT’s. 15-31 lb range. 4 on the bait. 2/0 hook, 15 ft. 20 lb. fluorocarbon leader with ½ oz sliding sinker to the hook attached to 400 yds of 30 lb spectra. The addition of the half oz. of lead and the lighter fluoro is what made the big difference. I diddled around for 45 min. catching nothing. Then Captn. Greg suggested adding the lead. I think I was the onlyh one who did it. After that I caught 4 YT in 4 casts. It took about 10 min. for the lead to pull the sardine down into the bite area. But ounce there it was sure to get bit. The method above worked great as long as the depth was under 150 ft. once over that flylining was no longer effective.

And 3 on the jig 40lb fluoro 18 ft. leader to 40 lb spectra. The largest YT was 31 lbs big enough to be a jackpot contender. The 2 smaller ran in the 22-25 lb range.

We moved to several places with the water over 230 ft. . The Captn. would call out YT’s on the bottom up to about 50 ft off the bottom. Well you got to get down there to get bit. Once we started fishing the deeper water it was all bottom fishing with the dropper loop, Irons or jigging.

Over all a really great trip. The crew was hard working, especially Captn. Greg. And we all came home with some tasty fresh ocean fish for our families

No pictures as I left my camera home. But you all have seen piles of dead fish before. Just use your imagination.

Walt

Posts: 342 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post