CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    I caught a Bonefish in Newport Harbor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I caught a Bonefish in Newport Harbor
 Login/Join

Crew
Picture of FIT TO BE BIT
posted
I was fishing in Newport Harbor Monday afternoon on August 20th when I landed this Bonefish. It was released unharmed after this photo was taken.
I caught it on a home cured salted Pinhead Anchovy.
I noticed a few other Bonefish working in the area in the shallows, so there must be a resident population of Bonefish in Newport Harbor.
Al "FIT TO BE BIT" Schneider

"You don't judge a fisherman by his gear but by how much time he spends in his laboratory"

Posts: 8 | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wow, to me it is astonishing--I never heard of Bonefish caught in California!

What was the fight like? Did you know it was a bone, or did it feel like something else?

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
There are bones in Newport, Mission Bay, and San Diego bays. They came up with the last El Nino and never left. They are a light biter-cross 'is eyes hooksets will leave you with an empty jig

Posts: 771 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is so cool. In the words of Jello Biafra, California uber alles!

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Yah I have caught them in Dana Harbor too while trying to make some macks a few years back. They were right at the bait docks and were caught on sakibi rigs all three swam away to see anouther day.

Posts: 406 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Saltwater Sportsman did a story on bonefish in SD a number of years ago. I forget who authored the story but the angler featured (sorry, forgot his name too) was using half of a crab on a three-way. No specific location was given, though they did claim that the fish have been around for quite a while and are in numerous estuaries in and around SD.

Joe

Posts: 8 | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post