CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    QUIT WISHING AND GO FISHING!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUIT WISHING AND GO FISHING!
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Took a overnighter out of Seaforth Sportfishing on the Cortez. The Albies were picky, most were troll fish of a ratio of 3 to 1. The guys having the most luck were fishing light stuff - 15 pound with floro, and getting in the water fast helped. The Albies were nice though, going 20 to 30 lbs no football stuff. Better lucky then talented for me, as I got three on the troll - oh well, so much for all my high tech stuff. Shame on me for not bringing the light line!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigman,

Posts: 153 | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
jigman, any day in the water is better than no day at work, the odds can be better, good luck next time.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Nice report Jigman. Like the Dodoman says, at least you were out there for an adventure and not sitting behind this key board like I am. LOL !! Slow trips can be benificial, we usually learn the most when the fishing gets tough.

Next time if 15 lb does not do it drop down to 12 lb. I know that sounds radical but your first priority it to get bit. Worry about getting them to the gaff later. Ditch the meat sticks for a longer medium action rod with a reel suited for the application. eg. ultra smooth drags.

No shame involved here, you recognized the problem and stood up to it. A sign of strenght not weakness.
Expierence, its the best teacher, gives us the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yep, your right on that! Skipper even said getting bit was the first priority, getting them to gaff was secondary. A 8 foot soft touch parabolic rod, with 12 to 15lb was called for. It might be a long fight - but that's what we pay our money for!

Captain
posted Hide Post
I got a chance to redeem myself on a 3 dayer on the Sea Adventure 80. We just returned on the 26th. First morning started out with the Albies nailing my 30lb with floro no problem, later as the day wore on and got sunnier they got picky and stopped eating sardines. I went to my 15lb straight without floro fishing the chovies, and was on again. Anyway, ended the trip with 8 Albies, and 2 yellows. Biggest Albie for the boat was 33lbs - biggest yellow 34lbs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigman,

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Yahooooo, Jigman.

Nice rebound. You did great.

Have a suggestion for you. Have been buying 100yd spools of fluorocarbon and attaching the whole spool as a top shot. That way the splice knot joining the mono and fluoro is not in the area of main usage. Seguar sells it under Invizx in 15 & 20 lb. test. It cost around $22.00 a little pricy but worth it when the bite gets picky.

Congrats on your successful trip.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks Walt, that sounds like a killer idea. That will be one less knot I'll have to worry about as the deckhands have a habit of breaking off my 2 foot topshots after gaffing!