CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    I made my first trip to Catalina
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I made my first trip to Catalina
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
This last weekend I finally had the courage to make the trip. After 3 years of unsure boating with Fuel, Engine, battery and many other problems I made it. I've been towed back twice in that span too. I finally made it there without anxiety or fear. The water was beautiful. Visibility was the biggest difference between the mainland and Catalina. I don't want to fish any other spot from this point on. I fished the north east end of the island where there were kelp beds surrounding the whole area. Perch were biting anything. I lost the fish of the day with Calico Jig strike (about 18 inches). It was a beauty but I lost it at the boat. It earned its freedom from me. Since it was a full moon the night before i think the fish ate all night and the vellowtails which i could clearly see from above the water were not interested. Lots of baby cuda. Bait fish everywhere! We brought back some perch, croaker and mackeral. I loved every moment of it. My dad had one of his best fishing days of his life. He causght everything on cut baits and really enjoyed his time for once.

Nothing big. No game fish but would not have been able to replace a day like this ever!

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Great fish karma, Iggy.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of FIT TO BE BIT
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Glad you had a safe trip Iggy.
Al

"You don't judge a fisherman by his gear but by how much time he spends in his laboratory"

Posts: 8 | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Reel'n Rod
posted Hide Post
I am envious. I remember my first trip to Catalina. It will lead to bigger and better things eventually.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm going again in about 2 weeks. Hopefully the moon won't effect us and the bait survives the trip accross the channel.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Catalina. Has anyone made this crossing at 1AM? I can never sleep the night before any trip and so i think i'll launch at 1AM this Friday. The forecast says the wind will dy down by midnight with 1-2 waves so i should be safe. Any thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

Captain
posted Hide Post
Update... I know this thread is 3 years old. But since I finally figured out my password after 3 years i thought i'd chime in on Launching at 1AM. DONT DO IT. Especially if your boat isnt prepared with the proper lights and RADAR. I almost hit a buoy and i was in fear the entore time. It took me 3 hours because i was afraid i'd hit a rock, whale, or log. VERY DANGEROUS.

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Iggy, how often do you go out to the island? i recently got my new to me boat i have been fishing from shore for way to long and a boat in the lake just isn't the same i wouldn't mind doing a buddy trip across to the island i have flood lights all around the boat i wouldn't want to leave at 1am more like just before sunrise so by the time i launch i could see in-front of me.

1979 Reinell Flybridge w/cuddy cabin

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Not as often as i should. I'll post here the next time i go. The only thing i dont like about the trip is the short window to fish since i gotta leave at 11:30 at the latest because the winds kick up and the conditions get sooper bad.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Wow you have a Reinell too!!!!!

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Sounds great.... email me if u want tlsatellite @ gmail.com

1979 Reinell Flybridge w/cuddy cabin

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, I would like to buddy up on a fishing trip to Catalina. Been diving but never fished the Island. Email is mkl91710@gmail.com.

1995 Bayliner 2655

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post