CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  SoCal Trip Reports    New to the sport and shopping for a boat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to the sport and shopping for a boat
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
I grew up fresh water fishing and am ready to step it up to salt water. This will be my first boat and I am currently looking for a boat between 25 and 32 feet. Depends on weight. My truck is rated at 17,000lbs (never tested). I want to buy a boat that can do it all and am going to launch in Newport Beach or surrounding areas. I an currently looking at a 26' I\O walkaround cuddycabin. 160 gallon fuel and tons of extras only 3 years old for $52,000. I know I dont know much about offshore fishing and any advice you can offer would help...

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Nice size boat for what you'll be doing. You'll probably find yourself launching all along the coast, from SD, Dana Pt., Zooport, and HB, all based upon what's happening and how much you feel like driving. First thing I recommend when going saltwater, have two good radios on the boat. One fixed mount and one a good hand held portable.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1487 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Ill be shopping later today and next weekend

Crew
posted Hide Post
I just put a bid in on a 25' Pro Line Walk around cuddy 250 Merc W/ GPS, Fish finder/ Radio/ and stereo. the only thing im scared about is that it only has a 60 gallon gas tank. What do u think about 60 gallons on a single 250 outboard......

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
60 gal is way, way too small!! You're going to burn something like 12 gal per hour.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Im going to lake test the boat Saturday. I called the shop today and they said it had an 80 gallon tank. What do you think about 80 gallons with an extra 30 gallon backup can straped to the deck? Or I guess maybe a 60 gallon tank with 30 on the deck?

I know that a deal too good normally is a bad deal, but the boat is selling for 25,000

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If the boat is a 4 stroke, you're talking a safe trip of at most two hours out and two hours back with an 80 gallon tank. If it is a 2 stroke it is much less. Ask the seller how many gallons per hour the boat uses. My guess is the good price is based on a 2 stroke motor that burns lots and lot of expensive gas.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb is 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve. I have a 21' I/O with a 70ga tank and feel I'm range limited. I don't like "drop tanks".

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Just for comparison, I have a 21 ft. Parker with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I burn 7 GPH and have a 105 gallon tank. 80 gallons for a 250 2 stroke is way, way too small. And IMHO, too small for a 4 stroke as well. This may explain the price.

Crew
posted Hide Post
the engine is a 4 stroke. I did some research and think that I may have been given bum info by he salesman. All the boats I found online that were the same year, make, size, and engine type had around 120 gallon tanks. I guess I'll find out Saturday....Im still not comitted to this boat. Cant wait to find the right boat and start posting pics of my monster fish...

Crew
posted Hide Post
So I bought my boat.... Yeay for me. Its a 2000 Pro line 25 foot walk awound cuddy with a Merc 250 OB, 138 galon fuel tank, all the electronics I could want, and 2 live wells. Now I need a few fishing poles and tons of tackel.