CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Accurate 665 wide:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 665 wide:
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted
I just picked up the new Accurate 665 wide. I'd like to use the reel for several applications that involve a mono topshot of anything from 40lb - 80lb.

I believe the drag capacity is up to 35lbs - but do you think 80lb topshot is a stretch on this reel?

RV

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about these reels but you can give them a call. 888-Accu-372 or 951-479-0909

Posts: 385 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Check the post 'Boss 665 VS Avet LX' on the Tackle Help forum here.

Chark was talking 35# + of drag.

Posts: 52 | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
maybe 60lb. mono tops...i got 50 on mine wont's go any higher, less mono the heavier the line...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I would very much like to know more about this reel as I am seriously considering buying one as part of my gear for a long range trip. I am most interested in what role this reel would best fit. Would the low gear one be a baitstick for Tuna between 50lb and 150lbs and Wahoo? Would the high gear one be good for throwing Wahoo bombs and jigs to larger Tuna? Will this reel fit the gap between 30lb baitstick and a 50 wide cow stick? If not what additional reels will I need to fill this gap?

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapt in Arizona:
I would very much like to know more about this reel as I am seriously considering buying one as part of my gear for a long range trip...Would the low gear one be a baitstick for Tuna between 50lb and 150lbs and Wahoo?
Lots of Tuna have been killed over the years with single speed reels, but for Tuna above 70-80 I recommend a 2-speed. But then, I'm fat and over 40. I absolutely recommend a 2-speed for Tuna over 100#. I'm not saying you can't get one to the boat with a single speed, it's just a lot easier with that extra gear. It's better suited to baitfishing for Wahoo than Tuna, IMO.
quote:
Would the high gear one be good for throwing Wahoo bombs and jigs to larger Tuna?
Yes. The high speed version is also a great choice for fishing the yo-yo jig up to 60#. Very smooth, outstanding drag, easy to crank under load, it's a very good reel.
quote:
Will this reel fit the gap between 30lb baitstick and a 50 wide cow stick? If not what additional reels will I need to fill this gap?
IMFUO, it will fill a niche or two, but you may still want a couple of two-speeds for 50# and 60#, and maybe for 40#, 50#, 60#, and 80#. That is, if you're using your 50W for 100+.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
So for long range trips I need

20lb stick for making bait
30lb bait for yellowtail, small tuna, and 'Cuda
30lb jigstick for yellowtail, small tuna, and Cuda
40lb bait for larger Yellowtail, schoolie Tuna, and Wahoo
40lb high speed for throwing jigs and wahoo bombs to Wahoo and schollie Tuna
60lb 2 speed bait for 100lb+ Tuna and big Wahoo
50W 2 speed for Cows
80lb 2speed Trolling gear

Did I leave anything out or did I mistake what these rigs can catch? Should the 40lb rigs be 2 speed or is single speed fine?

Captain
posted Hide Post
I would modify the list a bit. For trips 5 days an dover, a 20lb rig is definitely optional. Most likely, you will only need one thirty pound outfit as well. Most used rigs are 40lb. I would suggest:

1 30lb rig--Mostly bait-Not necessary to have a two speed
2 40lb rigs. If possible, make one a small two speed. Accurate, Tiburon and Avet all make smaller two speeds. Matched to a legit 40lb stick (take your pick-Calstar, Seeker, etc..--My favorite is the 765xl) and you have a perfect Guadalupe bait rig. Make your other 40lb rig a jig outfit and you are set. If money is no object--a samll two speed is great but not necessary
1 50-60lb 2 speed outfit

That will pretty much cover you for everything 5 days and under.

If you plan on 7-10 day trips I would add
1 more 40lb rig
1 50lb jig/bait rig (again--small two speed reel if you can)
1 50 size reel for cows or dropper loop. Some people like the W's for the capacity--but most prefer the regular versions. Spectra solved the capacity problem.

For Trolling--Use the boat rod.

Hope this helps.

LT

Posts: 86 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
definetly, Thanks LT

Captain
posted Hide Post
TIP--I am sure you already know this, but just remember that picking the right bait and learning how to cast and most importantly, talking to the crew are even more important than the gear you have. The crew could outfish everyone with Penn 4/0s. The LR crews are second to none. Ask as many questions as you can and have them show you what to do. Doing this and having the right gear makes for an unbeatable combination.

LT

Posts: 86 | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post