CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Penn Squall Star Drag SQL25N
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penn Squall Star Drag SQL25N
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I have an AVET MXJ Raptor which has become my go-to reel for most of my fishing. I don't go on long range trips, the longest I want to fish is 1.5 days out of San Diego. I also go to the East Cape occasionally.

I have a plethora of reels of the older and heavier types including a Penn-Accurate Yellowtail Special, a Penn 4/0 with Tiburon Frame, a couple of Calcutta 400's, a Newell 332 reduced to Penn 99 size with a Tiburon frame/Spool and a couple of small 501 Jigmasters with Tiburon frames (I like narrow spools). I have a Shimano 2 speed TLD 30 and a Penn/Newell Wahoo Special for heavier uses. I love the 332 Newell conversion on an 8 ft Calstar 270 and the Calcutta 400 on an 8 ft Lamiglas rod with Aftco mini roller guides for tossing live bait. I use the Shimano TLD30 on a custom Calstar 6455H with A roller guides. I have the Wahoo Special on a 6 foot custom Seeker (it has apparently been cut down from a longer blank) which is an absolute beast.

Additionally, I also have a Penn Squall Star Drag SQL25N which I got in primo shape at a garage sale recently. I want to try speed/butterfly jigging but, I am not sure if I will like it or if I will be successful with it here on the Left Coast or in Baja Waters. I don't want to invest big bucks in a jigging outfit.

I was thinking that I could devote the SQL25N to jigging. I already have it loaded 50# braid with a 30# topshot. I could remove the topshot and add additional braid. If the SQL25N is sufficient (seems like it puts out enough drag) I will but an Okuma or a Penn Carnage Jigging Rod from Charkbait. I kind of like the Penn because all have the gimbals, only the heavier Okumas are equipped with gimbals...

I mentioned my other reels because I could possibly devote one of them to High Speed Jigging....

Do you think the SQL25N on either of the above rods will be a decent speed jigging combo?

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good call RP, a lot of value there without a big investment.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I'll be down to the San Diego Store this week with my 25N to have some extra braid loaded and to try it on the various Penn Carnage and Okuma Jigging rods to see which one feels best...

Posts: 32 | Registered: 18 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post