CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Rod Wrapping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod Wrapping
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
posted
I was thinking about buying a 30lb jig set up from Chark this summer and was wondering about wrapping the rod myself or buying a premade one from Chark. Would wrapping my own blank cost more than buying a Calstar 270H-8? What is the liklyhood that a first time rod wrapper will mess it all up or wind up with an inferierior rod?

Can I use the same rod for Surface iron and yo-yoing? Is Acid wrapping any harder to do than conventional. Should I buy a book on the subject? What all do I need to do this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapt in Arizona,

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Ol Pedro
posted Hide Post
Trapt , I quit building rods because I could buy a finished rod for a lot less . I only do repairs or rewraps on rods that I already own now . I learned to wrap rods from Bill Stroud in San Diego back in the early 70's when you could still get what you needed for a fair price . There are books on rod building and plenty of places to get blanks/hardware . I wouldn't start by building a jig stick . I would just take a used rod and rewrap it to see if I liked it . Run your thread through a book and make a wrapping table out of a 2 by 4 with a couple of v notches on the end . Just pad out the insides of the v's . Once you build a stick from start to finish you are stuck with it good , bad , or in between . You can always rewrap but you are stuck with the blank .

Posts: 243 | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pedro, looks like something to get into when the financial situation is better.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
aestetically, building your own allows you to make your rod any color combo you want. My wife makes quilts, I build fishing rods. I don't sell them just for me and friends. I truly enjoy doing it. Is it cheaper? Probably not. But it is an addictive hobby, and I always get exactly the rod that I want!

Posts: 742 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
How long did it take you to build rods with quality equal to premade rods?

How much extra does it cost exactly?

How long does it take to build a rod?

Do I need special tools?

What materails do I need?

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Trapt n AZ,

Wrapping is one of thoes things you just have to jump into and see if you sink or swim.

A great piece of advise from Ole Pedro, re-wrap one of your old sticks first. That way you will have an expierence to decide if you want to continue. Personally I enjoy the heck out of it. Do I save money? Sometimes.

If you got a mechanical bent or like working with your hands you can assuradly get a good result.

Here is what to expect on your first rod. It will be structually sound and very fishable but most likely will have some cosmetic flaws. Its the thread wrapping and the epoxy application that takes a little practice to get that professional look. Thats why Pedro suggested doing an old rod first.

It took me 3 rods before I got a reasonably good cosmetic appearance.

I have a beginners rod wrapping book that I bought before I did my first rod. Vary useful. Tells you how to do it and everyting you will need to get started. Published by Flex Coat, an Epoxy Mfg. entitled, STEP BY STEP ROD BUILDING. To help you get started. Send me an e-mail with your address and I will mail it to you, N/C.

yessokk@msn.com

Walt

PEACE ON EARTH

Posts: 330 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to learn from two of the best-CB in San Bernardino and Dale Clemens, who attended several seminars that I was at. get a cheap, useless blank or dowel and practice. It will minimise frustration. When you feel comfy wrapping, start with rewrapping an old blank. Cost is determined by materials.

Posts: 742 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
I wraped about 12-14 sticks rhis winter, it isn't hard and if you don't go hog wild on the componets you can build some good gear at a savings. If you feel like it shoot me an email at blackorp (At) hotmail dot com and I'll give you some pointers.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of AzFish
posted Hide Post
Janz - sweet sticks - I really like the 2nd from left & 3rd from left - simple but nice!

Posts: 130 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
That pattern is the easiest to wrap. Here are some fairly simple guide wraps

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
can someone help me, how do you post pictures like jan z.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that wraps all of my rods. He made me a set of Seeker Black Steel rods 20lb, 25lb, 40lb. 60-80lb. He weaves a fish on the rod. He is currently making me a 60lb Super Seeker bait stick. I have pulled on everything with them and they are better than stock. You can get the front and rear grip made for your arms and comfort, which makes a difference and they show up in the rod rack on boats because they are unique. You can also spine them which stock rods are not always wrapped on the spine. Every blank prefers to bend in one direction. I don't have the money or time to do it myself but a good custom wrapped rod it a great thing to fish. Wish you luck in your art!

Chad

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 142 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
trapt in arizona, take that step foward, make that move, a few mistakes will happen, we can always use fresh rod wrappers, when your skills get good , post us a picture of your new work.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
heres a photo of a few , of my large collection that i admire the most.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DODOMAN,

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sure will. Hoping to get an internship this year. I hear it pays well so I should be able to afford it. I am not crazy about the braid look, but the other three look real good, especially the one on the far right.