CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Pink Newell 220s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pink Newell 220s
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Very tempted to buy the pink 220 as a Christmas gift for my girl but there's a lot of mixed reviews about Newell reels on the internet. Stuff like low/inconsistent drag pressure, handles snapping off and the need to swap out various parts (gears/bearings) for it to function properly. Sure the pink version will appeal to my girl but I wouldn't want to buy a reel that's going to give me lots of trouble. Its such a hassle getting parts/dealing with warranty issues when I'm living so far away.

Does anyone here own and fish a Newell 220? Any idea what's the gear ratio and max drag pressure? Has Newell sorted out all the bugs from the earlier production runs?

Thanks for reading and replying to this!!

Best Regards,
Mike

Posts: 5 | Registered: 12 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Some of the red Newells did have problems, and Newells have never been known for much drag pressure. Newells are good, high quality reels although definitely old school. I think it is a good idea to swap out the drag washers with HT-100s or Carbontex but their bearings are as good as any -- and need periodic lubrication like all bearings. I ordered a pink 229 for my girlfriend...

Posts: 303 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks ak-fish! do you happen to know the gear ratio for these reels? What line do you intend to load onto the 229?

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
The gear ratio is 5 to 1. I'm having Charkbait install pink 25# line on the 229. We'll be using it for salmon in Alaska.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Whoops! I should have said "She'll be using it for salmon in Alaska."

Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks again ak-fish! I really hope the new pink 220 is free from previous production bugs and has better drags! (I don't mean ridiculously high drag pressure... just consistent and smooth pressure to effectively fish 30lb lines)

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I too hope there are no production problems, but regardless, you really do want to change out the drag washers to HT-100s.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I've owned and fished Newell reels for a lot of years and have no negative experiences. They cast great, and make an average caster better. They have helped me get bit, simply because I can get my bait where it needs to go. Drags? Well, they are better than they used to be, which drags in general have shown improvement in almost all saltwater reels over the past 10 years. They can be improved, but they're much better than they used to be. Handle snap? I consider that an urban/internet legend. On the S series it's a graphite handle, I've yet to see one snap, though those stories have persisted for years. If one did break, I'd call it mis-use by the angler. These are not two speed winches, you need to go back to basics and pump and grind in a fish and make use of the rod for that purpose. Perhaps some have forgotten how to fish...? The R, P, and the Blue and Pink reels all come with the upgraded handle - made from metal. So, it's not an issue. I will say this, retailers do not make nearly as much money selling a Newell than they do selling some other brands (I won't mention shimano in this regard...well, I guess I did). So, understand some gear will be pushed and "switched against" like Newells, simply because of profit margins. To us, I'd sell Newells even if we made no profit. I liked Carl, I like the gear and fish 'em, and we can turn profit in other areas. Greed or bottom line management does not factor into this. Newells have a soul. Some like 'em, some don't. But, no one can argue that they are GREAT casting reels, easy to work on, simple, light in weight, and very functional when it comes to catching fish.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1553 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Pulllll up and wind down, double ditto on what Mark said about them.

Only thing I ever saw break on a Newell was a base and that I hamhanded and tightend the clamp way, way too tight and stored it that way.

90% of the crap on the internet about Newells is just that, crap.

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
I broke a Newell handle once-with a framing hammer! Broke the Daiwa handle and the Shitmano one, too. Only one that didn't break was on a Jigmaster. Thank goodness for cheap reels!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
P.S. I love my Newells!

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
P.P.S They're black!

Captain
Picture of JanZ
posted Hide Post
Black is beautiful

Making Humboldt bay safe for bait one halibut at a time

Posts: 215 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Why should a NEWELL cost more than an AVET ? I am thinking that the AVET is better , Shouldn't a newell BE 1/2 THE PRICE OF AN AVET? Who sells these reels now ?$$$$$ They are way too expensive if you want to know . That is the HONEST TRUTH!!! I like them but money talks and B,S, walks.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
What Newell costs more than an Avet?? I paid $179 for a pink 229. You can't touch a new Avet for that price.