CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Avet's 3-speeds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet's 3-speeds
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
How did the 3-speed 80 lb reels perform in the initial year of service? Just curious, not remotely a customer for anything in that size bracket.

People will accept weight in an 80 that wouldn't be acceptable in a 50, certainly, so I suspect that Avet wanted to try this in a form factor that allowed a hugely overbuilt reel. If it works Chark will be stocking 3-speed reels in the Abu 5500 size in a few years.

Posts: 117 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
First one I saw at the Fred Hall Show didn't impress me. I thought the mechanism was kind of clunky and vague. But, once they got into production that was not the case at all. We've not had one issue with the 80's, customers have liked them and we've got one client in Hawaii who has several - all red of course, and purchased one a month over the summer so his boat now has four aboard. This really didn't add any weight to the reel at least from what I felt - same for the 50 series. We'll see how they do with the cows during this long range season. There will be some out there being fished, and Harry from Avet has already spent time at the rail using the piece. So its got some pre-production testing behind it.

Hmmm, on an Abu...well they didn't do much with their old 2 speed - though it's a bit of a classic - but Tib sure took advantage of that design.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
The only comments I ever heard on those 2-speed Abu reels were caustic. The mechanism may have needed more precise machining than was possible at the Abu price point. As far as Avet's reels go, I will watch with interest and see what turns up on Alan Tani's site. I recall someone (I think on this site) was critical of an early set of gear ratios, 3:1, 2:1,1:1, and the current set of 4:1, 2:1, and 1:1 does sound more sensible. Chark, a pushbutton arrangement or something like the pre-button Penn Internationals? Steve?

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
My thoughts were to along the lines of a 4 speed, with both push button and the handle/arm shifter as was used on the old Internationals to engage the second set of gears. In my mind that would have been the way to approach the extra gears without any vagueness in operation. But, Avet approached things differently, and their system does work well - though you do have to work your way through the gears instead of being able to drop or bump up two levels at a time.

On my initial thoughts of the 80 3 speeds, that was based upon the prototype which was showed off at the Fred Hall Show. They've gotten much better once they got into production.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I agree - if you have to work up or down one gear at a time, that would be mildly annoying to me.

Years ago I talked to a tackle dealer/engineer who had devised a continuously variable gear set for large lever drags. I don't believe he ever managed to build a working prototype, and I do wonder how big it would've had to be; I suspect it would have been quite large.

Enjoy your fishing trip.