CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Accurate 270 2spd VS. Avet 6/4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 270 2spd VS. Avet 6/4
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
I purchased the 6/4 from Chark back at Fred Hall this year. Just picked up the 270 2spd from Marc Higashi. I Took them out to Clemente to test on a Shikari 909 and the Calstar 800ML. I tried the reels on both rods. The line on the 270 is 65/40 and the Avet is 30/30.

For overall finish and quality, the Accurate wins hands down. Both reels are very close on width, diameter, and line capacity. The Accurate has massive gearing, where the Avet is understated. If you have small hands, the Avet might be for you. However, all you have to do is shift the gears to know why the Accurate costs more. The Avet’s handle will slide about ¼ turn before engaging. That combined with Avet’s typical anti-reverse slop would liken this reel to a small 2spd metal jigmaster. On the smaller bass (2-3 lbs), the Avet stuck between gears three times. Pulling back on the handle and then reeling got back it into gear. The drag works well, but it is comparable to the standard Penn HT100 material. On the plus side, this reel can cast. Whether I used Iron, swim baits or lead heads, all were easy to cast with no backlash. You’ll notice the anti-backlash has no adjustment for what you are throwing. It is linked to the overall drag setting. With the one Albacore I hooked on this reel, the fight was just irritating. The short throw on the handle did not have enough length to generate the leverage I want from a reel. This was worse considering I was using the low gear ratio to see if it could horse in the larger fish. Overall, it is an OK 15-25lb reel. I would not even think of the 65/40 line setup I used on the Accurate. Overall grade: Grade C+

The Accurate on the other hand is a dream. It’s cast control easily matches with whatever I cast. However, this reel is not well suited for tossing light baits. At best, I was about 10’ to 15’ shorter on casts with the same baits versus the Avet. Interestingly, the lever drag is shorter than the standard 270. The drag is amazingly smooth. No coffee grinder feel like the Avet. Whether it was bass, Spanish mackerel, or Albies, they all were no match. When caught in kelp, I was able to turn larger bass and bring them up like they were in open water. Going from high to low gear is like driving an automatic. It almost takes the challenge out of fishing. The power just kicks and it goes. Also, the length of the handle is perfect. My only complaint is the knob. Under load it is amazing… But, it just did not fit my hand. I have the older power knobs on my 197 and 870. I wish Accurate would have stuck with the same size and dimensions of that knob.
I am really looking forward to trying this out on my next 3-day trip on larger game. Overall Grade: A-

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
good report, being an act right lover, let just say , im having another act right showing up to my door soon, real soon.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Nice report. The Avet is the SX 6/4?

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Do you think that the price of the accurate being twice as high as the Avet had anything to do with it? Throw another 60.00 into the pot and a Tiburon can be had.Auto transmission and hyper fast gears.
I still like my Penns and Newells-I only have so much money and prefer to spend it on fishing.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of reelveal
posted Hide Post
I'll take the Accurate drags over the Avet cast distance all day long.

My 197, 270, 870, 870 2 speed, 665 and 665 wide are ready for my 5 day RP trip leaving Sunday - will report on each reels performance - by the way - all my jig reels are Newells.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of DODOMAN
posted Hide Post
ya oughta try the 200 for jigs, it will give the extra mile. with the proper adjustment you can hit a seal 4 miles away, lol.

mark t ----- aaahhh how the hell you been.

COMING TO YOU LIVE !!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Carl Newell always said that 2 spd and lever drags are not needed below 80 lb test. I think that If I decide to buy big bucks reels the Torques look like the way to go. The auto trans of the Tibs, however, appeal to my lazy side. Decisions, decisions.......

Captain
posted Hide Post
To Mark T, yes it is the Avet SX 6/4.

As for the Torque VS Accurate, the Penn is much heavier and the drags do not compare to the Accurates.

To me the attention to detail in the Accurates justifies the cost. For example, Avet and Penn do not have sealed bearings in their handles for the knobs. Who else takes the time to coat their screws with marine grease to protect from corrosion?

Another thing to consider is Penn = Shakespeare. Accurates are made in the USA instead of abroad. The labor savings by Penn should be passed on to you, the customer.

Finally, try emailing Penn to see if you get a response. Avet only has a phone number as well. What year do we live in? I hear email might be big someday!

- C

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I also like the Accurate, and would give it the nod in comparison to the SX, but there's a huge difference in dollars. The Accurate will indeed fish heavier line, and be less forgiving on a cast and not toss a light bait or lure as well. Lots of points to compare and consider. The SX and MX two speeds are best suited for fishing 30# and down, while the Accurate will indeed deal with 50# line and the required drag pressure of the heavier lines. There's a difference in intended application and design.

I do have two points I'll disagree with, of course opinions may vary. Penn does not equal Shakespeare, though one did purchase the other. Penn's design team is EXCELLENT, and what they are producing shows that. The better reels from Penn are NOT made overseas. Torques and Internationals are made here in the USA. As far as drags are concerned, I disagree 100%. The Torques will pull VERY well and they are indeed stronger reels than anything in their size class...by design. They are more robust than the Accurate, and will deal with hard fishing with less required maintenance. Further, you can tune them to deal with a very wide range in lines and required drag pressures.

As far as communication, what's wrong with a phone number? Call Avet and you'll actually talk to a human being! That human being might very well be Harry or Sarkis, the owners of the firm! They are well known for their hospitality when a fisherman happens to drop by the factory, too. We've had several of our clients drop by to get a reel serviced, then get a personal tour of the factory for 30 minutes and get their reel back in their hands without any charge! That's simply amazing these days. Further, they have established a VERY good reputation with their customer service. I'd suggest that they have proven to have the best service in the business right now. No games, no extra charges for most all of the upgrades they've made (such as bearings...but of course a handle swap will cost you a reasonable $35). Email? Well, that's not a strength for either Penn or Avet. (However if you post a question regarding Penn on this site you'll probably get a response from Steve Carson who is their West Coast product guy and a real friend to fishermen out here). Frankly, in the case of Avet they are far too busy producing gear, designing new toys for us...and conducting tours. They run a tight ship, small staff, overhead minimized, and that makes them efficient as hell but short on time. Email does not work for them, and the volume of potential responses, the time it takes to type out a response, well let's say it's not something they can swing without a much larger staff. Accurate has an inhouse sales staff, sales manager, local detailer...they have personnel and time. Avet and Penn have depended upon independent sales representatives who are not housed in their factory. They simply do not have personnel with time on their hands for responses to hundreds of emails. Accurate is a much smaller firm too, their volume of sales less, more of a custom type of production really. One would expect better customer communication from a Ferrari than Ford. It's a volume thing, reflected in production and cost. As an example, Avet will produce a thousand reels + in a run of SX's 6/4, Accurate under 100 for their 270 2 speed, and the potential email and communication volume probably holds that ratio too. There's just not enough time in the day to respond to every email for them, but a phone call gets dealt with quickly and efficiently.

No knocks from me on any of these companies, they all produce great stuff. Which product is better? It's more a function of what the reel is being used for and the fisherman's subjective priorities. That varies from individual to individual. I will say that with respect to Penn's Torque, Avet's small two speeds, and Accurate, I'd love to have 'em all!!!

Fishermen have never had it so good in terms of choices, quality, service and creative designs. Competition is a very good thing. Funny, shitmano doesn't even enter into this discussion, and that definately goes back to competition pushing manufacturers to produce better gear for the consumer.

GS<
MS

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chark!

To me the hardest choice is selecting between Penn, Avet, Tiburon and Accurate. So, I got some of each. Eyah!!

Oh, how I wish I won that $300m powerball lottery! Man, can you imagine the size of the tackle box that I would need? :-)

And wow, I think I'd have to buy a few long-range boats, hire crews to run um full time, and we'd all go anytime gratis, assuming space... Ah, the dreams of a pauper! :-)

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Chark-you said it more eloquently and probably with more believability than I might have. I personally abhor e-mail, as it takes far longer than a personal phone call. My first tuna was on an old black-sided Penn Senator on 1962. My first marlin was on the same reel on the same trip. After 45 years, those reels still work(although I don't take them out-they have earned their retirement.)I guess that's why I still like Penns.

2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Totally awsome response Chark. We do not relize how good we have it with the quality of tackle to choose from and how fast the technology is advancing daily. I tend to go with function vs dollars, so I have a few new Avets in the last few weeks instead of Accurates. They are all great products and its hard to find or say anything negative about them. But I do agree 100% right now Avet has the best cutomer service right now with Shimano being my next choice.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Sorry to remember now to say what I should have earlier...

After my 10-day last year, I called Avet, Accurate, and Tiburon to have my reels serviced. In every case I reached the appropriate person on the first try. The dude at the other end of the line was friendly and professional. The reels were serviced quickly, and received back in perfect condition. As for Penn, I have a professional reel expert fix my stuff, his name is Matt, and he works at CharkBait.

Absolutely seamless, flawless, perfecto...

Posts: 302 | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, Mark.
Thanks also for correcting the persistent mis-information that Penn Internationals, International Baitcasters, Torques and Formula reels are not US made.
They are now and will continue to be made in Philadelphia, more than 30 models in all in 2007.
An economic reality is that the inexpensive models are made offshore, but so are the other brands.
For the new conventional models coming out in 2008, 7 will be US made, and 3 will be made offshore.
All of the very early-developmental models discussed for 2009 will be US made.
Regarding e-mail, wow, I have trouble just deleting all the spam guaranteeing that I can grow my hair back and get rich quick!

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
OK, a long story for all those interested:

Back in 2003 I was going on an elenen day on the American Angler. I bought a EX30W (Avet) from Charkbait. On my trip, on my first cast, the reel locked up. I was Pissed! Afetr the trip I brought it back to Chark and told him my story. He apologized and graciously replaced the reel and spetra. I wrote it off as a fluke. The net year on my eleven day, the same thing happened again! (Insert every nasty word you can imagine here). When I got back, I went straight to Chark with a more direct furror. He relaxed me and said to call Avet and tell them my story. He promised me that they would "do me right". Being smarter than anyone else on earth, (and equally stubborn), I did not call Avet. I was convinced that I would not EVER own one again, and I posted on this board that I would not reccomend one to my worst enemy. They were worthless, END OF STORY.

In 2005, on my eleven day American Angler trip, were encountered several cow yellowfin. I was fishing a Shimno 50LRS and boated my first cow ever. I was excited. Afetr the battle I had time to relax. Just sitting there, dog tired, I observed that all the boat reels were Avet 50 SDS reels in blue. I wondered why, but still insisted that I would NEVER again own one. My Shimano was the bomb (although about as heavy as the boat anchor).

In October 2006, I visited So Cal again. I remembered what Chark had told me about AVET "making it right" to me. So I decided to visit the factory. When I arrived, I was met by a very pleasant woman and told her my LONG story. She immediately went and got the boss. He explained to me that there was a flaw in the earlier version of the reels, and that all had been corrected. He offered to give me credit for what I had paid toward a 50SDS. I was blown away! I took him up on his offer for a pretty blue 50SDS. I knew I was going to hate it. I couldn't wait to call Chark and tell him what I thought!

Well, I was one of the Idiots last November 1st that voted to take the American Angler to the Hurricane bank on an eleven day trip. Four days of travel to get there, with the hope of three days of fishing, and another four days of travel home. I had my 50 LRS, a new Accurate 50W, and my pretty blue AVET 50 SDS. I knew I was going to let it sit in the rack. My Accurate was going to be my big gun, followed by my LRS and then, as a last resort, I would pull out pretty blue.

When we arrived at the bank, fishing was wide open. 150 - 250 pounders galore. I landed my first on the Accurate. What a great piece of equipment, except the handle seemed very "slippery" to me. After stretching the line I went to the LRS (my boat anchor). It is, by far, the most powerful of all my reels. It landed the next fish (about 150) in no time flat. But the free spool sucked and it was REALLY heavy.

So with no other choice, I next picked up the 50 SDS. I pinned a sardine and casted it out. Well, as far as you can cast a sardine on 130#. (about 6 feet). I remember thinking how much I was going to hate that reel. And all of a sudden the reel began to spin. I gave it a bit and then pushed the lever forward. The fight was on. In no time flat the fish was at color. How easily that reel fished. And a toppless 50 is a joy to fish. I can still remember how much I wanted to hate that reel, BUT I LOVED IT!!!!

We left the Hurricane Bank after 36 hours because the fish holds were plugged. I had my fair share, of which several were caught with my pretty blue reel. I had a whole new respect for Avet, for Chark, and for all the passengers who convinced me that Hurricane was not crazy for an eleven day.

As November 2007 gets closer, I am preparing for my eleven day again. My new reel this year is an Accurate 50 toppless. Yes you will soon be able to get any Accurate toppless. But my blue 50SDS will be an integral part of my arsenal if / when the cows arrive.

Many thanks go to Chark for convincing me to call Avet, and even more to the people at AVET for providing the service and customer satisfacion that is required to make a US company a REAL success. Props to All of you!

Posts: 32 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post