CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Accurate Boss Dawg vs Avet Raptor reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Boss Dawg vs Avet Raptor reels
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted
I just had the fortune of being able to pick up two new reels for the upcoming season. I have loved Accurate since they came out years ago except they were not too good at fly lining until recent years due to lighter spools and cast control. They are works of art and I can appreciate their roots in CNCing aircraft parts since my grandfather was one of the first people in the world to program computers to CNC aircraft parts for McDonald Douglas aircraft in So Cal. I only bought a couple Avet reels before and one was their first offering by Charkbait ten or so years ago and it was an SX. I was not impressed. The other was a high quality 30 2speed for a 5 day.

I got both an Avet JX Raptor and Accurate DPX2-500N reels this week. The Raptor does not have great free spool but the MC cast probably slows the spool down. The quality has improved and it appears to be a real workhorse. I don't like having to kick the 2 speed back to put it in high. The Accurate is more expensive and free spools for days. Everything about it screams quality. I really like the 2 speed mechanism. If I had to do it again I would have bought 2 Accurates. I may change my mind after fishing them. Step one next week is to go out to Lake Mead and practice casting both iron jigs minus hooks, and plastic swimbaits without lead heads from the dock to simulate fishing off a party boat. I will report back how well they cast for me. I will be using Seeker and Calstar rods.

Thanks Charkbait for the great new gear at great prices!

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your note, and just a quick reply relating to the freespool of the JX. Do not discount that reel's performance. What you are seeing is the cast control kicking in when you simply fling the spool. If you go slow on the spin you can see if there's resistance or not...there is very, very little - the same as for a non-cast control JX. I own a couple JX 2 speeds, one with and one without. The MC feature will not cut down your casting, but it will cut down on the time you spend clearing backlashes. If you run a short topper and primarily braid you'll thank your lucky stars you went MC. It's a good feature. The "lack of freespool" issue is simply the MC feature trying to correct what it sees as a spool spinning out of control! That's what's happening to a great extent when you just give it a fling and try to time how long the spool spins. It ain't resistance, as the slow speed should demonstrate. What would have been perfection would have been a zero position on the MC dial. That would have saved us a lot of time in explaining how the MC works...

As to the Accurate, pretty hard to find anything to complain about with their new series reels. Love dem Dawgs!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1354 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I figured that may be the case with the MC cast. I magged a reel back in the day with rare earth magnets and was amazed at the results. That's why I my review is not complete until I cast some iron jigs and light weight swimbaits to simulate fly lining. I may find the Avet casts great and the Accurate is hard to not over run. I can't say anything but great stuff on both the reel's drags. I mounted them, tied them off, and pulled on the drags. Both reels have so much drag capacity that they are great for fishing spectra to bump them up to higher pound tests. I bought a Calstar 8ft rod from you guys also to run my narrow Dawg reel on.

I feel like it's Christmas getting packages in the mail from Charkbait with such quality gear!
I have a feeling it's going to be a good Summer season.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.

Captain
Picture of MrTuna
posted Hide Post
Just an update to my old thread. I love the LX Raptor! The MC cast is awesome and you can dial it in for bait or jigs. I find the Accurate harder to cast especially light baits. If I had to do it again I would have bought 2 Avets. The Accurate I would like better if I hooked a 100lb fish but casting sardines to 20-30lb fish is not it's forte when the long cast wins.

Tackle stores love me.
Fish fear me.