CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    New Avet HX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Avet HX
 Login/Join

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted
Avet just shipped their wide version HX to us. For guys going heavy on the line, this ups the capacity pretty significantly as the picture shows. The new reels will run $429 a tad more than the current HX narrow.

GS<
MS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Posts: 1553 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of Bass_Head
posted Hide Post
are the wides going to be available in left hand. same with the regular HX.???

Posts: 13 | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yep, I believe both will become available lefty. In the past the left hand version followed by 2-3 months. I doubt the folks at Avet will accomplish that with the HX, they are so busy right now trying to keep up with demand. But, we'll see...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Captain
posted Hide Post
When you say heavy line, what would this max out at?

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a bit over 20lb drag with mine, on a calibrated scale, so I'd guess that 80lb is about all that this reel can handle. I haven't tinkered with it yet so it might be capable of a bit more drag but I don't see the need. My curent plan for this reel is 40lb, 50lb and occasionaly 60lb but plans change. Hoggem had Charkbait spool mine to the top with 60 hollow so I'd have to respool with 80lb if I decide to push the reel. After having my hands on my HX I think it will make a good reel for Pacific halibut (50lb) and the wide should be a bit better when fishing 500' or deeper. Hoggem'in is planing on using them for albacore trolling if the one he has works out.

I still want a narrow 4/0, about 25% narrower than the curent 30N.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Outhouse,

I run my drag settings about 1/3 of the mono's rating. So 20lbs of drag would be a 60lb max mono for me.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I run my drags at 25% on a straight pull (not on a rod). I also like having some headroom, being a bit conservative in terms of pushing things (me and the gear). So, I plan on using mine at 60# with 80# Izor Spectra back... BlkWtr might be nice to try... I look at the reel as a great 50-60 rail piece. It also has some great application with the sailfish guys back East and especially useful for the Florida fishermen who will use the piece on the troll, bait, bottom jigging.... Another darn versatile reel that handles well, is light for it's strength, casts superbly...

At 80#, I like a heavier reel like a stronger 30 size reel. Yes, you can put that on an HX and plenty of guys are doing that, but I think they are on the edge of what the reel was designed to accomplish.

GS<
S

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
i fished mine at cedros, i've got 80lb. spectra and 50 lb. topshot, perfect setup,, i guess you could go 60 without much of a problem, but i'd stay w/ 50 lb.. serious cranking power...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post