Notify
Tools

reels
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted
would you say that the new Marquesas are the equivelant of the okuma cavallas? and are the Cavallas still around? Okuma still has them on their website!

Posts: 767 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Good question, I wish that it was a yes.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The Cavalla was the first Okuma worth a salt... The Makaira series moved beyond that product series, so Okuma discontinued them. We jumped on all that were available from Okuma and closed them out a few months back. Always a very good thing to visit the Weekly Specials page for opportunities like that. Now, as far as how the Marquesas stack up... We just got those in, have not had a chance to really put them through the paces yet. I thought they seemed to be strong performers, but I'm honestly hesitant to say they are in the same ball park as the Makaira series. We'll do some evaluation, as I said they just came in, but in my mind they are more like the bike maker's pieces rather than the Makaira series which are indeed state of the art. A more fair comparison may be made with Avet, but again that one will need a bit more time for disecting and testing.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1352 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I went from skeptical to impressed on Okuma. I bought the Cavella 30 at a price too good to pass up and find it to be smooth and strong. I purchased the Seeker American series 6455XH and find them perfect together. It does pay to shop the specials.

Posts: 90 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be loose when the reel is in gear; if it is, you've got a problem. It may be loose when the reel is in free spool. This is a "feature."

Posts: 264 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Great points, and regarding paying to check the Weekly Specials... In getting ready for the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach in a couple weeks I found several Cavalla 20's that we'd stuck in the wrong area in the barn. Wonderful reels, the size of a 30 narrow, darn useful and well constructed. I'll post them Friday afternoon if I can get my act together. They will not last long, and they will be well priced...
Posted the reels on our Clearance Page:
http://www.charkbait.com/clearance.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Crew
posted Hide Post
Go with the Cavalla if you get a chance on closeout. Marquesa is for tarpon and sailfish. They look nice but that's where it ends. Very cheap feeling reels.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Bravo, not shy in his words, but a bit pressing in his wisdom, Methinks ye should heed this advice my good sir. Pass the grey poupon my good man.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Cavalla's are all gone, unless Tom here finds another box in the barn...doubt that will happen now since the shows are over for this year and things have been straightened out back there.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Crew
posted Hide Post
The Okuma Fishing Tackle delivers more than just fishing gear. As well as it deliver the motivation to hit the water, the energy to maintain focus and the excitement that injects every cast with high expectations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Harris625,

Posts: 6 | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post