CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Cousins Rail Rods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cousins Rail Rods
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Cousins is advertizing their new rail rods for big tuna. Does anybody have any experience using them and if so, how would you rate them versus the serious competition such as the CX 76 Viper, Seeker 2X4 or Calstar's rail rod version?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Randy Penny past production manager from Seeker pretty much invented this sort of rod along with guidance from other experienced hands such as David Choate (WahooDad). UC had their own versions, designed by Andrew and Peter Williams from Australia. Calstar also joined in with their 770 and new 775 series rods. Randy now owns UC, took his team with him. So, I and others will state clearly that Seeker is no longer what it was, their Super Seeker series is now in truth a weaker seeker. So, I'd say that option no longer exists. Cousins, late comers with no true experience in the rail rod field. No one there fishes this type of trip, have little to no experience to guide them. But, much like the bike company that tried to promote their offshore "rail rods" to those not in the know, there's a marketing advantage in covering this increasingly popular niche. Calstar, that's a very good option from a wonderful company with a serious trackrecord. Having said all that, I strongly prefer the manufacturing design offered by UC. Their Dual Helix technology is indeed the best in the business and has been for years. Now with Randy at the helm UC gets even better. That's my honest opinion, others are welcome to theirs. I own UC's Raptor, Vipor and Invictus for rail duty. Sold off my own Seekers months ago. The bloom is off that particular rose.

From a fishing standpoint, the UC's have a great deal of power, the Calstars may be a tad lighter but I prefer the UC action and construction. At present we only produce the big guns from UC as a custom rod, however I expect UC to begin factory production of this series mid-summer. The custom built option is a good one, extended foregrip, rail pad, etc...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1295 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark.
Arter reading their ad and claims about their rail rods, I sent them an e-mail with some detailed questions. In spite of their request to contact them if one wanted more information; after several weeks I have yet to receive a response from them. For me, this tells me a lot about them.

Ken

PS: Please see my question about Makaira II spool pin under other topic area.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post