CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Seeker Pinhead vs Calstar westcoast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeker Pinhead vs Calstar westcoast
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Looking for a versatile rod to use for trips out of San Diego for Tuna, yellowtail, and Dorado...I like the idea of throwing a 7'-8' rod to toss bait and surface jigs for the typical 20-50lbs fish. I have a Penn Fathom25 or a jigmaster500 and plan on setting one with 30# and the other with #40 line. Unfortunately budget is a concern (otherwise I would buy one for every condition) Looking for your thoughts and ideas. Thank you

Posts: 3 | Registered: 12 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Sure would be nice to have you drop by one of the shops to pull on a few rods! You mention the Pinheads from Seeker and Calstar's West Coast Series. YOu'll see both used to great effect on the boats out of SD, and both are great rods to own. Which one, pretty darn subjective, and both series offer a lot of benefits, cover the same ground. So, it's going to be personal preference. Personally I lean towards shorter rods at 7 feet rather than the 8's and longer sticks, but a lot of guys benefit from the additional casting capability of the longer sticks. Also, this year I believe we may see smaller baits used more than the big sardines used in years past, so having a "live" tip should really help as would the longer rods I believe. You might consider the longer rod for your 30, then drop down to 7' on the heavier 40# line...but again this one's personal preference.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CB HB Staff
Captain
Picture of UnReel
posted Hide Post
Good morning , like Mark mentioned above this year we are looking at fishing with anchovies rather than sardines as the sardines are MIA in so cal at the moment and all the talk is of the cycle turning back to a anchovy fishery here. That's going to make fishing 40# and 50# tough because anchovies just aren't strong enough to pull that heavy of a line thru the water. They're will be more focus or emphasis on lighter 15-20 and 25-30# setups this year and either the Pinhead or WC series rods have great models to choose from for this type fishing. I'm the opposite of Mark, I prefer longer 8' rods especially when trying to cast small light baits like anchovies so in the Pinhead series I'd do a PH 1268 (12-30)for the Fathom and I'd fish 20# line on the reel. A PH 1580 (15-40) would be great for the jigmaster and I'd fish 30# on that. both rods are 8' with cork type grips.In the WC series I'd go with a WC-196-8'CT rated 15-25 and again would fish the Fathom 25 on it loaded with 20#. For the Jigmaster a WC-270H-8'CT rated 15-40 would match up killer and again I'd fish 30# on the jigmaster. Either the 1580 and the 270H can also toss light surface iron for tuna, yellows and cuda no problem too. If you have the ability to swing by and pull on some rods that would help you a ton as well.

Hope the info helps and have a great day,
Behdad

Posts: 169 | Registered: 15 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen for your replies. I will be in next Saturday and pull on a few rods like you recomend.
With the anchovies taking over as the primary bait and the need to downsize the line and hooks, how will this affect the catch rate for the fleet and the overall size of the catch??? How will this affect your business (the need to "re-tool" from past years) and for those of us who live far away, will you post more info as it becomes available so we can show up with the correct gear???

Posts: 3 | Registered: 12 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post