New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoo-X?
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I read somewhere that Avet might be releasing the Hoo-X this month. Has anybody heard differently? I am going to the Fred Hall show in San Francisco in a couple of weeks and wondered if it might be available for a check out.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
It would surprise me, last time I heard from someone I felt "knew" the ETA was later this year. I hope you are right though, I NEED MINE!

In blue, right Mark?

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
When in doubt go to the source...

I just called Avet. They stated the Hoo-X will be out in March in time for the Fred Hall Long Beach show.

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Cool, Too late for my Venice, LA trip but sooner than "your information source" told me in December. Aren't the people at Avet friendly and helpful?

Mark,
I'll order mine, in blue, when I get back.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard about this reel (besides what is in the tackle shop section for Avet) and did not see it on their website. What is the word on this reel?

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Trapt,
Avet will not be posting info until these are available. Mark has wisely decided not to take orders before he can actually deliver the product. Email me and I'll send you the info I have.

tunahead101@hotmail.com

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
"As of February 16th, Avet is very close to releasing the much anticipated Hoo-X. The drag washers are now being cut, most internal parts are ready so we should see a prototype at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach in Early March.

Latest word is the Hoo-X will be produced in single and 2 speed versions with a narrow and wide spool available in each.
The single speed version will be available in 2 gear ratios to accomodate both high speed and low speed applications

Harry and Sarkis, the owners of Avet, being great tinkerers and imaginative innovators have been working on a new reel. I know most of you have expected a level wind SX or perhaps a spinning reel. Those are in the works. What they are bringing out is a new reel in the 40 class size.

This reel to be known as the Avet HOO-X looks to be a real hoss. About the same size physically as the Trinidad 40, this reel promises to deliver performance unmatched by anything currently on the market.

Base specs have the drag capable of pulling 26-27 pounds of drag max. line capacity will be in the 325/40 range (MONO ), weight around 28 ounces.

Capable of outstanding performance this reel will pull in 44 inches of line per crank, will sport harness lugs on an open top design, and is a 2 speed to boot. The Handle is curved inward to place the center of effort as close to the rod as possible to eliminate any tendency to wobble on high speed retrieves

You can bet the boys at competing manufacturers will drop their jaw when this reel hits the market.

Specifically designed with the giant wahoo in mind, this reel with its 5.4 high gear. 2.8 low gear will be quite capable of pulling in small marlin. tuna, giant kings,etc."

Chark...what is the price range for the single spd and two spd?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SDTuna,

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of AzFish
posted Hide Post
Talked to the owner of the local fishing shop on Friday, he said he was expecting his first shipment this coming week. Also threw in that they are going to be the approximate size of a Penn Baja Special.

Posts: 131 | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
We'll post prices once the product is in our hands an the invoice received. That eleminates some smoke blow'n, and last minute confusion. The folks from Avet will do everything possible to have the reels available to us by the Fred Hall Show (3/7-11). I doubt they'll be done any sooner than that, and if history is a guide to the future they will only have a few done by then. We'll know for sure within a few more days...

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1518 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Any idea on the price of the Hoo X?

The LX just didn't match the 12T 2 speed or the SST12, but was priced significantly lower.

I'm thinking I need to return some tricked out Shimano's to their intended purpose and upgrade to a heavier reel, and this looks promising!

Posts: 20 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
Mark any ideas when they willbe avaliable in purple???? Also do you have any 4/0 ex's narrow avaliable in purple???

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think this would be a good 40lb Jigstick?

What rod would you match with a 40lb Jigstick in the 8' range?

What line class do you need to catch Wahoo on the LR trips?

Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
For 40lb I'd stick with a JX, the hoo-x looks like it's going to be a good 50/60 reel.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Keta have you seen it? Hopefully we'll get some reports from the Fred Hall show. Getting excited about this one.. The reel is supposed to be the same size as the TN-40.. With the drag it's supposed to put out it could fish anywhere from 40-60#. We'll have to see if it's too heavy for 40#... I think 50# will be ideal though..

Posts: 11 | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I was planning on picking up a Hoo-x as my 40lb jig reel in the future when I started going on the LR trips. If it turns out to be a better 50lb rig, then what do you guys prefer Avet or Newell for 40lb Jig reels? Or maybe a Daiwa Saltiga?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapt in Arizona,