CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    avet hx vs. baker 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

avet hx vs. baker 12
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster.
I was able to get a Avet JX and a HX before the price increase and would like to pick up another HX class reel, but with the pricing now the Baker 12 looks like a it might be a better heavy bait reel for the price. What do you guys think.

Avet HX vs. Baker 12?

I really haven't heard any feed back on baker reels since they came out. Anybody own one that can give some feedback.

Thanks for any feed back,
Jason

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I know Mark (owner of this website) recently took ownership of the JB 6 Model and I am assuming he will post up his findings some time soon. I don't think there has been anything posted on this forum about the JB 12, but I could be wrong. I am currently waiting for the new updated JB 4 which I'll be using in the Dry Tortugas very soon. I'll post up some comments when I return but can't help you with any JB 12 information.

Tim

Posts: 33 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
The 12 is a bit wider, I prefer the 6...which is why I grabbed one. The HX will be lighter, as would the Accurate 665N, but the Baker is robust. Kind of like comparing a tank to a hummer. Drag-wise, the Baker will double the capacity of the HX. The HX will have the lighter spool but both have very good freespool performance. Casting a lighter lure or bait will probably be easier for most guys on the HX. Both are great reels to own in my opinion. But, there's an intrinsic value to owning what is essentially a custom made product.

The CharkBoard would have more feedback posted if John Baker could produce more reels! We've been getting them is small numbers, though that will change this weeek as we are expecting about 30 to come into inventory. Up until now we've been lucky to have a half dozen show every other week. Makes it hard to ship 'em to folks that have been patiently waiting. But, the wait's about over!!! (-:

GS<
MS

My 6 2 speed

Posts: 1518 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
The more I see this reel the more convinced I am that the JB 4 is a perfect set-up for bottom fishing. Fill it up with 50 lb mono and 5-6 feet of 50 lb flurocarbon and you are ready to take on any Grouper or Mutton Snapper willing to play!

Crew
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback Guys,
It's hard for me to pull the trigger on a reel like this when I can't put it in my hands and mess with it for awhile. It sounds and looks like a mini beast of a reel though.

Would you be able to put 500 yards of JB hollow on it and still hace have room for a short top shot?

Jason

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on this one. I fish strictly mono and have no experience with any kind of backing or top shot. I can tell you that the JB 4 is a stoutly made reel and the drag is truely incredible. I tried maxing out the drag and got to the 20-30 lb (just an estimate) point and just couldn't hold it any longer. I can't imagine a fish that could exert more pressure but I know they exist. Marks analogy comment about the JB being a tank versus a HUMMER is very accurate, in my opinion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim,

Captain
posted Hide Post
The only problem with those reels is getting a fish that's in need of a good A$$ whooping to voluntarily bite on my hook.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Looks like I gotta have one, the Baker that is.
Just to be sure I'm not confused (yes its happened before) Its a dual disk drag like accurate with drag being applied to both ends of the spool and the handle is machined like the pic Chark posted and not the plastic looking one on the website.Does it come with a rod clamp?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: icestar,

Posts: 33 | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Icestar,

The Baker products have recently been upgraded both internally and externally. Internally you will find a deeper driving pin and heavier springs that improve the Hi-Lo shifting and free spool performance. Externally, you'll find a beautifully machined, ergonomically correct, aluminum metal handle. I think you will be totally pleased with this product should you decide to go that route. And yes, it does come with a rod clamp!

The only other thing that I can add is that all JB reel products come with a 2 year "FREE" upgrade option. Any improvements that John makes to his reels are available, free of charge, to any JB owner for a period of 2 years starting the day you buy it. I know of no other maufacturer that offers this type of product obsolesence insurance option. In my mind, this is the way to build a business and reputation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tim,

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Can someone who owns the JB 12 tell he how well it casts? Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I've got the 6, and it's a great caster for it's intended line use. I run 60# on top of 80# Spectra. It's no light weight reel. The Avet HX and Accurate 665 will run the same line tests, and be lighter in weight. But, if your intention is to put "hard miles" on the reel, big fish, high drag, dealing with heavy jigs or live bait, the Baker will feel very good.

GS<
MS

Posts: 1518 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post