CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Graftech?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graftech?
 Login/Join

Captain
Picture of slojig
posted
Has anyone fished with one of these rods? Ive some great things about them, but cant find anything about them on the web.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I have a Graftech. I bought a GJS80H (8' 25-40lb)a little while ago. I also had some diamond grip put on it when I bought it. It has been a great rod. I used it for a while but I got an 800M as a present and it has replaced my Graftech. However, IMHO the graftech and the 800M are very similar in action, weight, feel, etc...It's basicaly a poor mans 800M in my opinion. It's now collecting dust in the corner until I buy another reel for it or an interested buyer to take it off my hands for me.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I have the GIS80L and the GIS80M. The L is about like a Calstar 800XL in action. I use it for 15#, sometimes 20# I use the 80M for 20-25#. It's close to a Teramar TMC-X80MH in action. Maybe a bit softer tip than the Teramar. I've caught the 3B's, YT, Albacore, YFT and Dorado on the GIS80M and tons of the 3B's on the 80L. Just make the reel you use fits the seat of the Graftech. Baitcasters and smaller conventionals fit just fine.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of slojig
posted Hide Post
So are these rods made with cork handles and trigger sytle grips. Im just curious because i have a buddy with an 8' graftech that has a trigger cork style handle. I like fishing with it and want to get one or something like it.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yes, they have a trigger seat and cork grips. Larger diameter grips than a Teramar. They feel good under a load.

They have 7'ers with hypalon and 9'ers with cork tape too.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
My 8' has no trigger. It is similar to deckhand style offered by calstar except I had diamond grip put on mine.

Captain
Picture of slojig
posted Hide Post
Are these rods available for sale online. I dont have a shop around thats anything close to a saltwater tackle shop. I dont believe that the Charkster has them, if they do id get one from him.

I appreciate the help...big time!

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I believe you have to buy them at a store. I haven't seen them on any online stores. Where do you live and what line class are you looking to fish. I don't really want to get rid of mine but I'll give you a good price on it because it's just sitting in my rod rack here at the house.

Captain
posted Hide Post
The GIS (Graftech Inshore SeriesO have a trigger seat and cork grips. The GJS (J = jig?)are cork tape.

Captain
Picture of slojig
posted Hide Post
Im lookin for a rod that will fish 20# test for calicos and rockfish. Ill use it to throw swimbaits (fishtrap or big hammer).

I live in California's central coast and dont have a legit saltwater tackle shop around.

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if I am alowed to post this link or not but I'll give it a shot. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanotermarwestcoast.html
I think the Teramar's are excellent rods for what you are doing. In my opinion, and other, the teramars are a little stiff and under rated. I will be getting a TMCX80M for the exact same purpose you are refering to. It's rated 10-20 lb but will fish 20lb even 25lb line just fine. Match that rod with a Calcutta 300 or 400 and you are set.

Captain
posted Hide Post
For 20# I'd go with the GIS80M or the Teramar TMC-X80MH. The Teramar is a little stiffer than the Graftech... but lighter. I've got them both. For plastics I prefer the Teramar, for bait the Graftech. I've got the Teramar TMC-X76M (rather than the X80M) and love it for throwing plastics with 12#. It's too light for 20#. For 15#, the GIS80L is about perfect. No Teramar really matches with it. A Calstar 800XL is the closest to it.

Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
I havent broke one yet, and you know they are lite !!! Take a whole set and you will not be sorry !!!

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post