CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Backup 40# reel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup 40# reel
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
Guys, my go to 40# reel is an Avet JX 2 speed. Other than another JX, I am considering a Saltist. If I go with a Saltist, is a Saltist 40 big enough? How many yards of spectra/mono could one put on the Saltist 40. Last question, if this is a backup reel, would you go with a high speed or normal speeed reel?

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I fish the Saltist 40H for surface and yo-yo iron. If you don't need a rippin' retrieve, go with the Torque model. It holds 300 yds. of 65# spectra and about 100 yds. of 40# CXX on top. Plenty of capacity, plenty of drag, good reel.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
The Wreck is right on the Ball. (Pun optional)
I have the JX and a Saltist 30H. Would not reccomend the 30 for a JX back up but the 40 with the spectra back would be perfect. The Saltist are good solid reels, a nice quality bang for the buck. Would also reccomend, as above, low speed 4.9:1 model. Thoes high speed reels are a killer on a jig stick. Not worth the pain.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Big Fish
posted Hide Post
I think if money is an issue go with the Saltist, although you may want to try the 50H. I used one last year and had a blast catching 30-40 lbs. tails and the reel stood up to the battle without any problems. A good solid reel and especially for the price! Fish On!

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the responses. Standard speed 40 it is. What do you think about 50# spectra connected to 40 pound top shot? With 50, I could get much, much more line than with 60.

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
If you go the the Charksters Daiwa sales section you will see the reel capacity for the Saltist 40 listed at 360 yards of 50lb spectra. That would confirm you desire to back with the 50 instead of the 60. With a good mono line like the Izor XXX 40 and a solid joining knot you should be golden with the 50 Spectra for a back.

As always, my opinion for your consideration.

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
by using Accurate's line converter, you should have 300 yds. 50 spectra and a 65 yd. 40 mono topshot. Should be enough for most fish.

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I just returned from the Charkbait 10 day and had 7 outfits with me, including an Accurate 665, Avet HX and Penn Baja Special. I found the Baja Special casts the most easily and handled 40# line with easy. I fished it more than the 665 and HX. I caught several yellowtails on iron, dorado, and a couple wahoo on it. I can't think of a better backup 40# reel -- especially at the $150 Charkbait price.

Posts: 304 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
AK the baja special is 190?

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected; I could have sworn I saw them for $150. But $190 is still a great price. I paid $249 for mine!!

Posts: 304 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You're both right. We have had them posted on the website and at our shop for under $150. We had made a large buy and wanted to stir things up a bit. But, Penn has not produced the reel for several months, supply has dried up and rumors are circulating that Penn will discontinue the piece. We hope not, and have given them a large order to back up our desire to not see it go away. Given the lack of supply our price is back up at $190 (but not 250!). Should Penn make another run we'll be more aggressive if possible.

Penn is also coming out with their metal series 4/0 and 6/0 reels. While there is not a narrow version planned for the 4/0 perhaps that is something the guys are considering. Steve might let the cat out of the bag on that one.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1572 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Get the Pro Gear 540 with Tiburon handle for $140 under used reel specials! I already have 2 540s or I'd ge it myself.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post