CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    New Daiwa Saltist Star Drag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Daiwa Saltist Star Drag
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Just saw these on the site. I LOVE the original star drag saltists, much more so than the lever drags. However, I wont want the 6.0 gear ratio. Do you know if they will be putting out another line of lower gear reels?

Also, when will the older model be liquidated?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Daiwa will NOT be making the star drag reels with the lower 4.9:1 gearing. Their feeling is that with the larger size of their gears, cranking power will not be dimenished significantly. As well, they looked at their sales of the Saltists which were available in both gear ratios and felt that there was more benefit tied to the higher speed. When a lower gear is required, get the best of both worlds and go for their two speed models. Then you have cranking power as well as speed when that's essential.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1570 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
may I suggest the Penn
torq 200, what a value, picked one up at the shop yesterday, Ive been useing my 300 since they came out, 6.2 to 1 R, lots of torque, fish it on Calstar 850 H, 800XH,700XH total of 7 long range trips over past few years, The Torques are bullet proof, substatial in feel, and freespool well, and with what CHARK has going on right now what a value!

Posts: 8 | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Is the Torque series being discontinued?

Posts: 304 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Yep, Penn does have some new things coming our way. We'll post more once we know more, but maybe Steve Carson can add some info here...? We've got the 100, 200 & 300 on our Weekly Specials now, for a very nice price, very nice indeed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1570 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Yes, the "Torque-Lights" will be shown to Mark [and all dealers] at the ICAST Show in Vegas next month.
There was a "teaser" ad with photo in last week's WON, and they will be all-black with gold trim.
5 sizes [146, 145, 140, 99, 500 size], and gear ratios from 6-1 [smallest] to 4.8-1 [largest].
The WON ad also showed the upcoming International 12VSX.
Most likely they will not be on store shelves until after New Year's.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I see. You make an interesting point about the gearing making the torque less of an issue with the higher gear ratio. I prefer the lower gear for the cranking power to pull cod and wolffish up from down deep, but I MUCH prefer the star drag for deep jigging bottomfish. If the higher new gear ratio doesn't sacrifice much cranking power....I felt like the originals lost torque in the higher speeds. If these are better, it might be just the ticket.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
The original TRQ's have more cranking power than any other "high-speed" star drag reel, due to the "double-wide" gears and the Integrated Side Plate [ISP] design.
Also excellent casting and freespool with the "Disconnecting Pinion Gear".
Really the only downside for the original TRQ's was the weight, and actual owners of the reel report they never really notice the weight while fishing.

Captain
posted Hide Post
They are high priced . They are good reels.

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Noob question here. What do the sizes refer to? Is it line capacity? Is it spool width? I notice that my Saltist 30 and my torium 30(Sorry) are really different in capacity. Does it just differ by manufacturer?

89 Reinell CSF Cuddy 21.5Ft

Posts: 142 | Registered: 14 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I think that way back in time it was a reference to the pound of line test that would be perfect for the reel. The spool size was just for the length or line capacity (deep open water etc.) So a 30 and a 30 were for drag and cranking gears for a 30 lb. line. The big spool was just for a longer length of total line. BUT NOW it's just a number -(Because of spectra I wouldn't doubt) - that really just segregates the smaller ones on up to the bigger ones. The different MFG'S are way diffferent than the other in their thought of a 30 or 40 lb. line reel. Old habits die hard, like hooks will soon have a new thing going on with them soon, STAY TUNED!!!

sweet charity

Posts: 446 | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
Hearing that Penn is using those numbers brings me back-way back! Sounds like a whole new frontier!

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the major reel companies are still using those "standardized" Penn sizes even if they don't know it.
For instance, the original engineering measurements for the Daiwa "40" size reels were taken back in 1993 off my personal Penn/Newell 99-Albacore Special conversion.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Yep. The Penn 99/545GS/225LD, Newell 332, PG 545/550/625/2500, Oceanus 30, Shimano TOR/TRN20, TLD15, Daiwa SLX-40/SA40/STT40, Boss 870, Avet JX, SST-7530 are all the same size.

Posts: 166 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post