CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Saltiga star drag reels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saltiga star drag reels?
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
The Saltiga star drags have disappeared from Chark's Daiwa Offshore page. Chark, what say: are the Saltiga star drags going away? If they're going to turn up on the Closeouts page, I'll start saving my pennies now..

Posts: 117 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
And since the star drag Saltigas have indeed disappeared, I wonder what Daiwa will do to replace them?

The one that held my interest was the Saltiga Surf conventional. It was a bit large for sustained plugging, which is what I prefer to do when not waving a flyrod, so perhaps the next series of top-end Daiwa star drags will include a 20-size reel optimized for surf use. A floating spool and a magnetic backlash control seem likely, but it'll have to outdo the comparable Torque by a good margin to impress.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Star drags are history from the saltia series, sadly. They were/are excellent reels and arguably better reels than the lever drags which replaced 'em. At present we have a 30 and perhaps 50 in inventory. Doubtful Daiwa will follow up with a new star drag series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chark,

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1352 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Pity. Lever drags have some following in the NE surf scene, but mainly with anglers who fish large chunks of bait for striped bass or red drum. Avet reels dominate this particular market. I don't own an Avet and have nothing against them, but for repetitive casting, it's easier to flip a star drag in and out of gear. The SS30 looked to be about the size of a GS535, which I do use on one rod. Is there a particular reel, Penn, Okuma or otherwise, which I should look over? Just curious.

Captain
posted Hide Post
I meant to say both "Saltiga Surf 30," since I don't need a standard Saltiga 30, and is there a "particular COMPARABLE reel, Penn, Okuma or otherwise," etc.

Captain
posted Hide Post
Continuing to talk to myself .. there probably isn't. A Torque star drag would come closest. Daiwa has been a substantial part of the NE surf scene for years, so a specialized surf variant of their Saltigas made sense. Okuma's simply too new in the business of high-quality reels to have one, and so far they're biting at the corners of the market that have the best profit margins. So at the moment there may well not be a surf conventional of the same quality.

Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianBM:
Continuing to talk to myself .. there probably isn't. A Torque star drag would come closest. Daiwa has been a substantial part of the NE surf scene for years, so a specialized surf variant of their Saltigas made sense. Okuma's simply too new in the business of high-quality reels to have one, and so far they're biting at the corners of the market that have the best profit margins. So at the moment there may well not be a surf conventional of the same quality.

Hi Brian,
As you know, the Penn Squall 12 and 15 are the "special surf variants" in the current Penn lineup, though as graphite frame models, they don't really compare to the "premium level" models like Saltigas.
The TRQ star drags with some kind of "static mag" or even "knobby" aftermarket work would be about where you want to be, in a top of line star drag, with "Live Spindle", all-stainless gears, machined aluminum frame and sideplate, etc, etc.
At this point I don't see Penn creating a "factory stock" model with that installed, but you never know what the future holds, and the European market is usually a year or two ahead of us on such products, so watch news from across the pond.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I'll do that. Somewhat reluctantly, I will keep an eye on the Big Auction Site. The start drag Saltigas were all pricey, and a used reel in decent condition would be fine. This is a specialty item, so finding one will take patience. Agree also that Penn isn't likely to do this for awhile, if ever. The SL20H and 30H have had a large presence in the surf for a long time, Daiwa had the relative leisure to refine their presentation - so to speak. Penn almost feels like a new arrival in this niche, notwithstanding the excellent mileage I'm getting with my Mag525 reels.

On the off chance you're Penn pro staff, feel free to pass the thought on to management.

Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianBM:
I'll do that. Somewhat reluctantly, I will keep an eye on the Big Auction Site. The start drag Saltigas were all pricey, and a used reel in decent condition would be fine. This is a specialty item, so finding one will take patience. Agree also that Penn isn't likely to do this for awhile, if ever. The SL20H and 30H have had a large presence in the surf for a long time, Daiwa had the relative leisure to refine their presentation - so to speak. Penn almost feels like a new arrival in this niche, notwithstanding the excellent mileage I'm getting with my Mag525 reels.

On the off chance you're Penn pro staff, feel free to pass the thought on to management.

Ha-Ha, Brian, you probably know me better as Tunanorth.....

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
ah HA!!!!

One of the local stores by me is having a Penn day tomorrow. I'll stop by and see what gossip there is to be had.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Okuma's Cedros series star drags might be a very good option as well if you are trying to duplicate the Saltiga product line. Machined aluminum, very good drag performance, and about $200 under where the Saltiga series of star drag reels were offered at by Daiwa. For under $300 they are a very good option, and are star drags.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Captain
posted Hide Post
I'll do that. I don't recall, off the top of my balding head, that the Cedros reels do or do not have a cast control, or what sort it is. Steve's (that may be a pseudonym, his real name may be Tunanorth) thoughts on the Torque are also on my mind; no doubt that with time there will be a magnetic cast control sideplate, whether OEM or aftermarket. Global warming has not yet brought tuna, billfish and wahoo into the Long Island surf, so I do have time.

CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Steve's feedback regarding the Torque star drag series is on the money as well. They are a bit pricier than the Okuma, but they are also made here in the States. No cast control on either one, nor was there one on the Saltiga series. A good thumb is required, though that can be developed easily enough...just go fish'n!

Great Stuff!
Mark

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I just got a SA30L at Tackle Direct for $289 Nice reel even for a southpaw

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post