CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  New Gear    Why no love for the Daiwa SLT?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for the Daiwa SLT?
 Login/Join

Captain
posted
There are a zillion or three metal-bodied, two-speed lever drag reels, suitable for big game, on the market now. The common ones are from Avet, Accurate, Penn, Shimano and Tiburon. There are others that no one save compulsive catalog readers ever see (Duel comes to mind; anyone here old enough to remember Gladiator reels?) and probably others that I've never heard of. The one that puzzles me is Daiwa, specifically the SLT reels. All my Daiwas have been good to me, from a 900H down to a Coastal baitcaster (my last purchase here on CharkBait.) Yet the Internet barely has a whisper of the SLT reels. Chark doesn't carry them, and his inventory of things Daiwa is otherwise awesome. Looking for reel reviews, I find .. the sounds of crickets chirping. Why no love, or mindshare, for the big Daiwas? Is it just their decision not to spend money on marketing? Is the entire series being replaced?

I have a perfectly nice 30SW that Larry Cofe worked over, that holds 400 yards hollow braid and about 200 yards of 80 lb. mono on top, a commercially made leader with a loop-to-loop connection; I can't remember the manufacturer. This is fine for anything I am likely to catch (or capable of handling). However, the local partyboats, the Viking boats out of Montauk, NY, bar the use of braid. If the crowd is light, the mates may overlook it, but if the boat's full, they won't. I was looking for a 2-speed to replace my 900H, a local store was getting rid of a few remaining SLT reels; I found that the SLT 50 will take no more than 300 yards or so of 80 lb. mono. I'd rather duplicate the 400 yards of 80 on the 900H. And I was quite surprised that the store in question, which is a big Daiwa seller, didn't carry anything bigger than the standard width 50. What has happened to Daiwa's big reels?

Posts: 124 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Wups. Gladiator, I find, is an Australian firm. I'm not sure if I was thinking of Alutechnos or Everol. There was a local shop on Long Island for years, now gone, that carried one or the other, but I can't say I've ever seen either one in local use.

Heck, I'm sure Release Reels wants to scale up to 2-speeds of different sizes too. And good luck to them.

Posts: 124 | Registered: 30 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post