CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Fishing Reports  Hop To Forums  Baja/Mexico Reports    Cabo/Todos Santos bottom fishing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabo/Todos Santos bottom fishing
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I was recently in Baja fishing the bottom from Todos Santos, Cabo, and San Jose. We had decent luck, but I had a few questions. I don't mind bottom fishing, even in deep water 300-600FT.
Most of the boats have depth finders, but do not use them.

Is there any real information on deep water bottom fishing in Southern Baja? I was using 2 and 3 hoop dropper loop rigs, but loosing a good bit of bait. Some of the smaller Nibbling fish like Triggerfish and Mojarra were hard to hook. We ended up using #1, and 2/0 hooks for most of the fishing. I was hoping to find some underwater lumps or stucture one the way offshore. I have fished for Tilefish on the East coast with 2-6# of lead in 600FT of water. It is different, but do able.
If you have any info, I would be interested.
Greg

Posts: 19 | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Picture of marcortez
posted Hide Post
You have to get out deeper to stay away from the triggefish...or as they are called in Baja...."cochi"

150' should do it. Use a depth finder to locate a "bump" or high spot.

I would stay away from a multihook dropper rig and go with either one dropper hook or even better..4' or so of minimum 40# leader (some BIG bruisers live down there) with a swivel snap to a 6-8 oz torpedo lead with swivel snap to your main line.

If you can get it...live bait is far more productive than a chunk of dead bait or chunks of squid.

If you fish in shallow water, the cochi will drive you nuts stealing your bait.
Their mouths are small and they are very adept at missing the hook. However if you do land a decent sized one...the are also very adept at drawing blood out of your finger with the wicked front chompers
Despite their ugly appearence, they do fight well and are very good to eat....Dixie fry coated and fried or used for ceviche.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 06 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
I have caught the Trigger fish AKA Cochito before. They are a pain to filet, but excellent eating. They freeze well, and make great Ceviche or Sashimi.

I did lose a big bottomfish of some sort with 60# line. The Cochito were stealing the bait, so I swithced to a 1/0 hook. After 5 min of a real tug of war fight, the small hook pulled out! Teh Panguero guesssed it was a big Cabrilla or Mero.

I will post the contact info for the Panguero next time I go. His name is Josue, and they are commercial Fisherman. There isn't any Charter fishing is Todos Santos. You have to book the commercial guys for the Day. It usually costs around $235-250 USD per day plus tip.
Greg

Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I'LL BE HEADING TO TODOS SANTOS FOR A WEDDING IN LATE JUNE. ANY CHANCE I CAN HOOK UP WITH THAT PANGA SKIPPER FRIEND OF YOUR'S?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Sure, I can try and get you and the Panguero together. Do you speak Spanish? If you don't Speak Spanish, you might need some help booking the Trip. I can see if one of my Friends in Cabo can Set it up for you. Me would probably appreciate a Tip if you can. He is Bilingual, and has been fishing with me before with the same Panguero. You will need to bring your own Gear, unless you want to fish Handlines. There is another place in Todos Santos that might be able to set up the Charter, but wasn't as reliable on the price.
You can email me if you like: gksappington@aol.com
Greg

Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have a Nautical Map of Baja from Todos Santos to Cabo San Lucas around to Los Barriles? I would like to see some other bottom features to plan a Trip with some Pangueros that I know.
I seem to recall a shallow 10-15 ft deep Reef off of La Ribera. I hear the bottom fishing for Triggerfish and snapper can be good there.
Thanks,
Greg

Crew
posted Hide Post
Hey greg5278 or anyone reading this post....I will be in Cabo August 14th 2013. Can anyone get me in contact with or reccomend a boat or panga to do some fishing on the 15th? I don't really want to charter a whole boat just for myself.

Thank you,
Planeinsane

Posts: 6 | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post