CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Drag Specs ... Real or Inflated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drag Specs ... Real or Inflated
 Login/Join

Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted
Mr. Mark,

Curious minds want to know.
Are drag specifications claimed by Mfgs. real or inflated. Anglers never seem to obtain max claimed drag with a full spool of line.

I can understand that max is probably available with an empty spool but that would be useless information as who fishes with an empty spool?

Walt

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Good question Walt...and point. A few years back this came up, bottom line: USA manufacturers tend to measure drag with a full spool. Asian suppliers tend to measure on an empty spool. So, numbers are inflated. Really this drag war stuff is so reminescent of hi fi wattage comparisons form the 1970's. Numbers were all over the place, some manufacturers using peak power some RMS ratings. In time it became standardized to RMS numbers. But, crappy suppliers did play games with numbers. And, just because a reel manufacturer states a high drag figure, it's pretty meaningless unless the rest of the drive train is up to the task... So, I'd not put a great deal of stock in high numbers. Really strikes me as funny when you see a $100 spinner claiming 45 lbs of drag, knowing 30 class reels may conservatively state far less than that number. Not too hard to conclude the numbers are bogus.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1442 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post