CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Tag, first post!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tag, first post!
 Login/Join

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted
I know, how immature.........so.
Do AFTCO rollers come apart by turning those little straight slot screws, or not? Mine seem to stick after being stored for long periods. Obviously I should take better care, but what is a good roller maintenance schedule? 3 in 1 oil ok?

The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and a good report makes the bones healthy.
Proverb 15:30

Posts: 119 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
They do come apart and are probably secured with a small bit of locktight. That's a good thing since with vibration a screw can become loose. We've known of a couple sportfishers in Baja who have heavy daily use requiring replacement rollers.
On my own rods I've never given them much thought beyond a quick spray-down after fishing. That's with YEARS of use. Just check to be sure they are rolling easily. If they're not it's probably just a little salt build up which can easily be rinsed away. Use of a little Salt-X or the new Penn X2R Rod and Reel Cleaner will help 'em spin again.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1538 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of tanglediver
posted Hide Post
Got it skip, Salt-X, ok.

The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and a good report makes the bones healthy.
Proverb 15:30

Posts: 119 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
rollers will stick, screws will fall out, and bushings will wear due to teflon being the coating.

Take the time to service the rollers and they'll be good to go for several years without having to dissasemble again.
1. Pay attention to whcih side the screw is on, and keep that uniform down the rod.
2. dissasemble the roller, pin, bushing assembly
3. Using a waterproof wheel bearing grease like Sta Lube Blue, and a Q-Tip with one end cut off, grease the inside of the roller and both sides of the bushing, and the outside of the pin.
4. Re-assemble, paying attention to which side the pin goes in so they're all uniform. I like to put some magic marker spots on the roller so it's easier to see it turning when you check them.
5. Use the medium locktight liberally on the screw threads, or Elmers white glue.
6. Tighten and check for roller spin. Aftco frames cane be overtightened.

It doesn't need to spin like a top, it will turn just fine under load. The grease keeps the salt from getting into the assembly.
Rinsing with water each morning and evening of use will keep salt from building up between the roller and guide frame.
If one sticks on a trip, check the frame to see if it got hammered, The bushing assembly should not stick again, and this lasts a few years, even with the abuse of spray on the long range trips.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Fishslayer
posted Hide Post
What Dockside said, excepet for #5 & #6.

First, get good screwdrivers that fit the slots. Hollow ground gunsmithing screwdrivers are the best.

#5. I prefer to just use a new screw when the original nylon dot wears off. In a pinch, blue Loc-Tite works fine. Use sparingly, though, cause if it gets between the frame & roller it can lock up the roller.

#6. Tighten till snug. That's all it needs if the locking agent is intact. The bushings are slightly wider than the rollers, so if the roller locks up when tightening the screw, you have a problem.

Most common cause on new rods is rod finish creeping up between roller & frame. Easy to fix, or have the builder do it. No need to chew out the builder... it's happened to all of us at one time or another. Big Grin

A handy tool for working the roller back & forth is a length of 80# Dacron. One wrap around the roller & she's good to go.

One thing. Never, EVER use WD40 on AFTCO roller guides.

Fishslayer

Posts: 63 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Agate D
posted Hide Post
With all of the junk in today's fresh water supply, I take a minute and clean with distilled water and a soft toothbrush. I have 25 year old rollers that work like new. Oh, the dust in your garage is just as bad on gear as offshore air, so clean before your first trip, too

Posts: 773 | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post