CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rod and Reel suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod and Reel suggestions
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Good afternoon,

For the past two years, I have been looking to add a new rod and reel to my arsenal. There is a ton of info out to read through, but too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to suggesting set ups. It seems I walk away many times questioning what to put together.

I usually do 1.5 days a few times a year. Within the next year, I plan to do multi-day trips (3-5). Seeing the past couple years, Ive been out when the BF are hit and miss. However, I have also been out when I have been outgunned as well. Looking for that one set up that can be used on a 1.5 day when it calls for it, but can also be used on the 3-5 as a go to.

I like the Andros line and already have a few Okuma rods and reels, and dont mind going up 12 or 16. However, on longer trips, would it be worth the extra investment to look at the Makaria line. I have eyed the 16 for years, but also been reading the 10 is a solid choice as well.

Would like suggestions/thoughts on the following:

--MAK 10 OR Andros 16: 60-80 lb hollow with UC rod (just not sure what to match it with). Could this be under gunned to the 150#+ BF range?
--MAK 16 with 80 lb hollow (with matching UC rod. I know it may seem too big for weekend trips, but it's the if/when that I question. Also, I wouldn't have to invest in a new set up down the line.

Or, which is more versatile to both 1.5 and 3-5?

Hoping to narrow something down or open my eyes to something I have not thought of.

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
I have taken 150# bluefin on my Makaira 10, run straight 60# hollowcore over 400 yds, then made use of 50# Sunline FL leader. I own 2 MK10's and a MK16. Both are better reels than the corresponding Andros, more robust. Given what you have mentioned, I'd go MK16 in a heartbeat. Run that on the right rod, you can deal with 200# plus fish. If you do, you will likely come back for a 10.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions. Certainly will keep what you said in mind. I do like those MAK's! Have a trip coming up so I may just have to make another stop into the SD store to put something together

If I did go with a 16 and fill with 80, what suggestions do you have for a UC rod. Would a 30/40-80 rated rod be a good choice? Also... if it's a tough bite and have to drop down on my FL top shot, can the 16 work will on a 40/50 top shot in this situation?

Colin

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post