CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Braid backing calculation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braid backing calculation?
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I will be buying a Tuna reel for Tuna fishing in the North East on boats that require at least 200 yard of mono top shot.
I have looked at the 50 wide reels and find them to be monstrously big! The regular 50's aren't too huge.
So my question is this, if I buy a regular 50 that has a capacity of 400 yards of mono, how many yards of 80 pound braid backing can fit under the 200 yards of mono top shot?

My concern is that I want to be sure I will have enough line overall so not be spooled!

I am considering buying the Okuma Makaira 50 two speed.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Registered: 07 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
You have some rigging options, reel options to consider. The 50 wides are far bigger than what you'll require. A 30 wide can hold say 400 yds of 100# braid and allow for a 200 yd topper of 80# mono. A 50 narrow would do the same. A hollow core braid will gain some capacity verses a "solid" 4 or 8 strand (with 8 strand being preferred on the solid, 12 or 16 strand for the hollow).

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1352 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post