CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Avet (or other manufacturer) equivalent to Saltiga 50?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avet (or other manufacturer) equivalent to Saltiga 50?
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I currently use Saltiga 50's for fishing in the Dry Tortugas off of Key West. For those not familiar, it's bottom fishing, but the Saltiga (and the Saltist, but I liked the Saltigas better, so went with them) are perfect, because of the higher gear ratio. You need a quick retrieve for this type of fishing, more so than cranking power.

Anyway, I'll be taking the girlfriend out for her first time to the Dry Tortugas, and wanted to get her her own setup. Was just going to get her the same gear that me and my brother use, but then figured I'd see if any manufacturer offered a quality reel that's equivalent to the Saltiga 50 specs, but that was offered in other colors (preferable pink).

Avet looks like it should do the trick, but with all of their models using letter designations, it's confusing to be able to tell them apart. What model is the closest in specs to the Saltiga 50? Or is there a different reel that y'all would recommend, that also comes in other colors? If it matters, the reel will be spooled with 30lb mono (I love braid, but it's not good for this type of fishing).

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: 17 August 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
What sort of depth and line capacity do you require? Am I correct that you are using the leverdrag Saltiga 50 or the older star drag model? Is a two speed capability a feature you want for the planned fishing? With a few answers we can help point you in the right direction. As to colors, only two options out there, Avet and perhaps Penn's Custom Shop (at added cost) if it's pink that's desired.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1279 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post