CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Tuna Reel for Mono Only
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuna Reel for Mono Only
 Login/Join

2nd Ticket
posted
I am going on my first Tuna trips this summer on the Viking Fleet out of Montauk and the Big Jamaica out of Brielle NJ. They only allow mono line. I need a Tuna reel for mono line that will have enough capacity. I like the Okuma Makaira reels. What size would you recommend for Mono only that will have enough capacity so I don't get spooled?

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Registered: 07 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Well, it depends on the size of fish you are targeting as well as the strength of the line you want to use. If you are looking for fish in the 100# range, consider a 30 or 50: An Avet 50 will hold about 350 yards go 80# mono; a 50W will hold about 600 yards. A 30 will hold 270 yards of 60# while a 30W will hold 300 yards off 80#.

Posts: 258 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
Thanks AK. It seems that most fish caught on these trips are in the 100 pound range. An occasional 200 pounder maybe. I though I would go with 80 pound mono to play it safe since I've never been Tuna fishing before. I am not sure about the rod yet.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 07 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post