CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    rod to match avet jx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rod to match avet jx
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
would like info re matching a avet jx to a ?rod.
this wull be a 30# bait outfit.
joe ferrara
eugene oregon

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I like the Calstar line maybe a GFGR700ML or theGFGR700M. If there is a shop nearby pull on a few different styles and brands and see what works for you.

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of Fishslayer
posted Hide Post
Lot of people like the Seeker SD8 for 30# bait.

IMO it's more a 40# stick but that's just me.

Everyone should have an 8' 40# bait stick! Big Grin

Fishslayer

Posts: 63 | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Captain
Picture of Walt
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe,

My 2 cents on the matter... The JX is one stout reel, have 2 of them myself. At first I was using it for 30#, as is your intention, however after using it as such for a season I have reached this conclusion, it will work beautifully for 30# lbs, but it is definetely ...over kill. My usual trips are 1.5 to 2.5 days in length, except for and occasional Black Sea Bass I have yet to see anything over 35 lb hit the deck. Have down sized to the MX and 25# changing out 10 ft fluorocarbon leaders as needed. The JX worked fine but the MX is a lot more sporting.

Do not know what your target size is but Fishslayer's Seeker SD8 reccomend above would be sweet for a JX. You could back the JX up with 300 yds of 50# spectra and just change out your 100 yd top shots, 30#-40#-50#, you would have a lot of options with the JX - SD8 combo. You can move up with comfort if needed. If you prefer a shorter length, would consider 20-30-50 rods, again giving you options.

Any way, you are now 2 cents richer. LOL

Walt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walt,

Posts: 346 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
SD8,yep

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I am using my JX as a 40# outfit with a 700H

For by your words you will be aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matt 12:37

Posts: 191 | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
posted Hide Post
As stated above, the JX is probably better suited for 40#. I have two with 65# spectra w/ 40# topshots. One on a Tiburon G40F70F and the other on a Rogue GPIS70MH, both 40# sticks.

For 30# I am using an MXL 6/4 on a 700ML.

I see you are from Eugene also.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
Check out the Seeker G670 or the Calstar 700M

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of big gabe
posted Hide Post
the JX is a solid 40 lb. reel...

TEAM
976-TUNA

Posts: 177 | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fishslayer:
Everyone should have an 8' 40# bait stick! Big Grin
Fishslayer
I heard that!

The JX will work fine for you from 25#-40#, and a number of rods from different manufacturers will suit those line classes to a "T." A Calstar/Sabre/Seeker 670 or 670-8 will work just fine for 25-40#, as will the SD-8. Find out what you like, and fish that one. Sometimes finding out what it is that you like can be fun, too.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
Picture of HOGGEM'IN
posted Hide Post
I would say a 700 M or a 700 ML would work great.

To the guys from Cali. I do not know of a tackle shop in Oregon who sells Calstar or Seeker rods so for the new guys we can't just go to a shop and test them out and put our hands on one. So we rely on you guys for great input. I thank all of you guys for this.

I now know pretty well what to expect in a rod as I now have 18 calstar rods. but 3 years ago I had 0

Posts: 69 | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post