CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    Rod for a Avet 50 ex sds 100 braid/80 mono
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rod for a Avet 50 ex sds 100 braid/80 mono
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Two questions...1. Is this to light a mono topshot for this reel for a 3 -5 day trip?

2. What Rod would you recommend fishing a Mack or sardine for this line class? Like the Calstar line, but I am open...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Chances are you won't need this large of a reel on a 3-5 day trip. It could certainly be your troll rig for the trip, also cover dropper loop fishing. It's a reel most will use for 10 day and longer trips targeting cow sized tuna - and for that application its a great reel to own, I have two myself and they've been bullet proof. Most will spool with 130# braid, make use of short wind on leaders ranging from 80 to 200 lb test.

For the rod, it's all about applications you intend for the rig. The United Composite rail rods are the best in the business now for standup big tuna fishing aboard the SD based long range fleet. For trolling duty another rod would make sense. Calstar also has their 770 and 775 series rods, also 765, which have specific models made for fishing certain line tests. Very nice rods from both Calstar and UC which match up well with the reel. Just a matter of matching the right rod to the line test being fished, and matching your intended application.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1294 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chark was thinking ahead! Appreciate the feedback!really thinking live bait fly lining a Mack for a big cow...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post