CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    rod ratings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rod ratings
 Login/Join

Deckhand
posted
I've got an Avet 4/0 2 loaded with 80lb spectra and a top shot of 60lb. mono. When looking for a rail rod should I be looking to match the weight of the line or the diameter of the spectra line. I was wondering about A Seeker East Coast BA 660XH-RS/RT or a G660H as a good match. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but I cannot imagine the line diameter being a point of concern when matching a rod. It would however matter if your line is thin enough, and comes under enough tension to start cutting into your guides. It doesn't have to cut much to create a rough surface that could weaken or cut your line. I don't know if this is a concern with quality guides, but it is something to think about in heavy applications.

I think you should match the rod to the strength of the line because of what I said above, and because you don't want a rod that fails before your line.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Match the rod to the topshot weight.

I'm not realy the one to ask about the rod choice but I feel the G660H is a bit on the light side for 60lb.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
posted Hide Post
Thanks Keta & Trapped,

What do you think about the Seeker 655XH RS/TR or the 6455XH AR or perhaps even the 6455XXH AR. Would like to feel everything from 10lb. red snapper to 100lb shark, ling or tarpoon.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of Keta
posted Hide Post
Call Charkbait and ask Tom. I have a 6455XXXH but haven't caught anything with it yet.

Life's Tough, Then You Die

Posts: 576 | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
I use a G6460XH for 60#. a 40-100 rated XH is a good 60# rod, especially the faster tapered 64 prefixed versions.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 26 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crew
Picture of Steve K
posted Hide Post
Mark and I follow each other around, posting the same information. It's kinda spooky how alike our tackle setups are.

I just love pulling on my Seeker CTSF60XH with 60 lb and my TLD30II with the Tiburon topless frame that I got from Charkbait! Oh, by the way the CTSF60XH is the blank they use to make the factory G6460XH.

Steve K Shorter rods -Longer trips

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
Nah Steve, we're not quite the same. My TLD30-II has a topless WillFish frame. I'm taller too.

Crew
Picture of Steve K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkT:
Nah Steve, we're not quite the same. My TLD30-II has a topless WillFish frame. I'm taller too.

And no doubt a lot better looking.

Steve K Shorter rods -Longer trips

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
posted Hide Post
At least younger. But hey, we're in the same decade for three more years.

Deckhand
Captain
Picture of SDTuna
posted Hide Post
http://www.seekerrods.com/Rods/BlackSteel.htm

Look at the G 6465XH- 6 1/2' I have two of them for 50 and 60 class line. Your Avet would be perfect combo

SDTuna -

Posts: 261 | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post