CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    40 lb. Reel suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 lb. Reel suggestions
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
I have a Seeker Black Steel G6470 Grabowski model. That I bought years ago. When the blanks were still made in USA. I was preparing for retirement and some long range trips. I have 20, 25, 30 and 80 lbs. covered already. Nothing goes as planned and ended up in the Philippines. I am partially handicapped, so a 2 speed reel is required. I will be fishing from a private Banca boat for Yellowfin, Big Eye and Skipjacks mostly. I am leaning towards Avet reels, but never used one before. Any suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 December 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of SoCalAngler
posted Hide Post
I have a Avet JX two speed that I use for 40 lb test and it works great. There is newer designed reels by Okuma, Penn and others which will work great also.

You didn't say your budget but for good reels at a good price some I'd look at would be a JX two speed, Penn Fathom 25nld2 and a Okuma Cav12NII.

Now if budget is not a issue you should have Mark or Sergei give you info about those.

Spectra backed these sized reels just feel very nice in my hands.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SoCalAngler,

Posts: 410 | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
JX 6/3 MC, G2 second generation model preferred since it will fish both 40 and 50# well. The MC feature is something I also like, even with a decent thumb, running more braid these days, the MC proves helpful to me...no backlashes (something I really don't want to spend time with with braided line backing the leader). It's perfection in terms of size, excellent casting, taken a few 100+ tuna on mine over the years. Useful reel.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1537 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. My budget is around $400. The MC is a must for me also. I have nerve damage in my hands. My casting ability is very poor nowadays.

Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
If you are considering the JX 6/3 G2 MC look at the JX Raptor. It has a ton more drag and costs only a little more. Not quite within your budget but in my opinion definitely worth it.

Posts: 302 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Captain

Thanks for the very helpful input. I was packing up rods to be shipped to The Philippines. Found a Black Steel G670. That needs a 30lb. Reel. I will put a Avet JX MC on it. I checked out the Raptor JX and the lower gear ratio sold me on it, along with the heavier drag. The Raptor will be a good Christmas present to myself. I will order the Avet JX MC this week.