New
Find
Notify
Tools

60# Reel
 Login/Join

Pinhead
posted
Hi folks. New here but long time customer of Charkbait. Need some help with deciding which reel would fit my needs. I'm going out on the Charkbait 8 day charter in November on the Red Rooster and am trying to set up a 60# set up for throwing wahoo bombs and iron for bigger yellowtail. I've got a Calstar 700H being custom made for this purpose but I'm waffling on the reel. Thinking about either the Avet HX2 or the Daiwa Saltiga sald50 2spd. Any and all suggestions appreciate!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jonesy,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
You don't specify exactly which configuration you prefer, the "narrow 4/0" like an HX or the "500-size" like the LD50; although both are lever-drag 2-speeds, so will assume that's your preference.
The Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 is a narrow 4/0 with 40 pounds max drag, 27 ounces, minimized side-load, and great casting qualities.
This thing hammers the wahoo, big yellows, and even tuna up to the "mini cow" grade.
The TRQ30LD2 is a bit smaller [33 pounds drag, 21 ounces] and is a great reel, but I don't personally like 60-pound on 500-diameter reels, as it gets a bit "wiry". However, if you are going "straight braid" and just a 3-foot leader it would be fine, as the wiriness does not affect braid.
On the chance that you may consider a star-drag reel, the Penn Baja Special 113HN is tough to beat for bombs and yo-yo, its just not a 2-speed.
All of the above match up well with a 700H.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Steve. I really appreciate your insight! I'll check out the Penn Torque.

I was under the impression the Baja Special was a 40#-50# reel. I have nothing against the single speed Penn; I have a couple of 4/0 reels, just thought that the two speed would increase the versatility of the outfit. Seems like everyone these days think the only thing to use are two speeds so that's kind of where I was headed.

I'm not an experienced long range fisherman. Fished a lot of pangas in Mexico but that is a completely different game than long range fishing. Frankly, I'm really looking forward to the 8 day trip on the boat. It will be my longest to date. Thanks again for your advice!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 16 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
The Tiburon sst8 .Worth every cent

Posts: 27 | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pro Staff
Captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesy:
Thanks for the advice, Steve. I really appreciate your insight! I'll check out the Penn Torque.

I was under the impression the Baja Special was a 40#-50# reel. I have nothing against the single speed Penn; I have a couple of 4/0 reels, just thought that the two speed would increase the versatility of the outfit. Seems like everyone these days think the only thing to use are two speeds so that's kind of where I was headed.

I'm not an experienced long range fisherman. Fished a lot of pangas in Mexico but that is a completely different game than long range fishing. Frankly, I'm really looking forward to the 8 day trip on the boat. It will be my longest to date. Thanks again for your advice!

Baja Special can definitely handle 60-pound; typical setup would be 300 yards of 80-pound braid, plus a 100-yard topshot of 60 pound mono.
It would be a great choice for your panga fishing regardless, but for most SDLR fishing with 60-pound, a 2-speed is preferred.

Posts: 248 | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post