CharkBait! Internet Sportfishing    The CharkBoards!    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tackle Talk  Hop To Forums  Tackle Help    8 day Red Rooster 3 trip Reels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 day Red Rooster 3 trip Reels
 Login/Join

Crew
posted
Currently I have a few Avet reels that I will be taking on this years 8day and I am wondering what other reels should I consider getting before the trip. I am thinking an HX raptor or a Pro 30. Any help would be appreciated

Current reels
Avet MXL MC 2 spd
Avet HX MC 2 spd
Avet JX Raptor
I have an Avet TRX50 narrow topless on order.

AlexG

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deckhand
Captain
posted Hide Post
On the 8 day last year we got into some big -- 200# -- fish. Take a 30 or 50 if you can.

Posts: 288 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CharkBait Staff
Captain
Picture of Chark
posted Hide Post
Typically, you'll fish a lot of 40 & 50#. A 30# rig can be useful, and something to fish 60-80. Last year was unique, but nonetheless if you don't have the gear you won't be able to take part in the big fish unless you are properly rigged. So, a strong case can be made for having a rig capable of 300# fish. More often than not, that's a 50 narrow. You can also make good use of a higher quality 30 size for the same fish - Okuma's Makaira, Avet, Tiburon and Accurate fit that use pretty darn well, given the way you'll be using the gear.

If I thought the likelyhood was under 50% for spending time looking for cows, then I'd go 20/30 size. (8 day trips and less) If I thought I'd also be taking a 10 day plus trip, then owning a 50 is pretty much MANDATORY in my estimation.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Posts: 1489 | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd Ticket
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking you have 40,50,65, pound covered and the TRX50 is plenty of reel for cow tuna. The HX raptor or the Pro 30 are both fine choices for spooling with 80 lb braid. I'd go for the HX raptor personally, thats just because I cast better with it and its lighter and more comfortable to fish with.
Hope thats some help .

Posts: 27 | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain
Picture of crown victoria
posted Hide Post
Bring Plenty of BOOZE and Dirty Girlie magazines, It makes the fishing Trip More Memorable. uNLESS you are really lucky, you will not regret these items. They help with those BAD DAYS, it happens , so just be ready to get over it, The Magazines and Booze really helps in this regard.

Posts: 117 | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post